yes sir and no sir

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
I appreciate young boys and girls saying yes sir and no sir but what age should they stop. I mean they cant go around forever saying yes sir to eveybody.
Always makes me uneasy when I see an older man saying yes sir to a younger man just because the younger man has more money.
Any thoughts?

denoginnizer":22ovqt7a said:
I appreciate young boys and girls saying yes sir and no sir but what age should they stop. I mean they cant go around forever saying yes sir to eveybody.
Always makes me uneasy when I see an older man saying yes sir to a younger man just because the younger man has more money.
Any thoughts?

Mine had better never stop as well as all the grandkids if they don't want to see a proctologist to remove a boot.
I still say yes and no sir or mam to my elders it is just respectful.

I always use yes sir and no sir if the other person is older than me. Other than that I don't.

This trait has been engrained in me but I don't do it for social status only out of respect. Elders are always given this courtesy regardless of their social status unless they prove themselves not worthy.

Doesn't have anything to do with money or age. I was raised to say Yessir, Yes man, No Sir, and No mam, and that's what I do.

It's nice to know that my elementary school teacher daughter and her fellow teachers insist on the same thing.

Alice

Seems I am in with the majority - I am 54 and still use it when I talk to my elders.

I also often use it when talking to those who are younger but providing me with a service or I believe they deserve it.

Good manners never go out of style.

Bez+

I use sir and mam with people younger and older and as said above... its a respect thing, not status. Yes Sir and Yes Mam can go a long ways... IMO. Alot of people take note of it.

What can be weird for me is I am usually the youngest of the people I work with. As I was raised I call every one Mr or Mrs but alot of the people ask me to just call them by their first name. It never feels quite right, I go back and forth and they always laugh at me. :D

Bez+":17iw2zkz said:
Seems I am in with the majority - I am 54 and still use it when I talk to my elders.

I also often use it when talking to those who are younger but providing me with a service or I believe they deserve it.

Bez+

That's exactly how I use it. Good manners have gotten me further in life than anything else.

cfpinz":3fl6cert said:
Bez+":3fl6cert said:

Bez+

That's exactly how I use it. Good manners have gotten me further in life than anything else.
Me too. It doesn't cost a lot to be polite and respect people.

Earlier tonight a young man held a door open for me to enter. I said, "Thank you sir." He conducted himself as a gentleman and I extended my respect and appreciation to him.

I don't see how money has anything to do with it one way or the other.

One lady older than me I always addressed as Mrs----, said, "Aren't we good enough friends that you can call me by my first name?" I realized that most of her friends her age were dead and she wanted a friend more than anything else. So I honored her request, but it was hard to call her by her first name. She is now dead also.

When some punk a$$ kid presumes to call me by my first name, he has just cut off the opportunity for any cordial relationship.

Sir to elders or gentleman I don;t know, mam to all women.
Just good manners.

Bez+":1unppwwf said:

Bez+
I agree, but it is more than just good manners. It is a sign of respect. Everyone gets Sir/Mam until they show me they don't deserve it.
I have also found that if you want someones respect you can attain it much faster by showing respect. This works especially well with youth.
As far as the Mister goes, once I have given someone permission to call me by my first name that is how I expect to be addressed. If they continue with the Mister I start to feel uneasy.

Makes me feel old for the kids to call me sir and mister. If they do it's fine and if they don't it's fine.

cfpinz":19ylax97 said:
Bez+":19ylax97 said:

Bez+

Same here, i always say yes sir, no sir and open the doors for the ladies. I was raised that way.

Bez+":3ufugh89 said:

Bez+
Yup, its called respect... :tiphat:

I always address my elders as sir or ma'am unless they've shown me they don't deserve respect. On rare occasions I will do the same with people obviously younger than me, but usually address them as "son" or "hon", which I also consider terms of respect. If they take offense I don't worry too much about it.

VanC":8wjjic6s said:
I always address my elders as sir or ma'am unless they've shown me they don't deserve respect. On rare occasions I will do the same with people obviously younger than me, but usually address them as "son" or "hon", which I also consider terms of respect. If they take offense I don't worry too much about it.

Wonder what it is about Vans...he uses "hon" a lot. I'm not real hep on that, I guess because my mother didn't like anyone she didn't know, man or woman, to address her as hon, or honey...maybe that was the school teacher in her.

Alice

Latest posts