Yellowstone

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
We made a trip to Yellowstone this last week. We figured going in late September we would miss the crowds but the weather would still be good. Wrong on both counts. There was a ton of people. Especially foreigners. I was really surprise at how many Japanese there were in tour buses and walk past a group of people and hear them speaking some language other than English. And it snowed. The snow level was just above Old Faithful. The pass between Old Faithful and Yellowstone Lake had 4 inches of snow and it was still snowing at noon on Saturday. Plan A we were going out the Northeast entrance over Bear Tooth Pass to the cabin we had rented. Bear Tooth is a high, steep, switchback road. They said it had 8 inches of snow. We took the long way around through Cody. But we had a good time. The wife had never been there. Two days exploring the park. One day to the Little Bighorn Battlefield. And one day in the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum in Cody Wyoming.

People lined up to watch Old Faithful

The falls of the Yellowstone

The Buffalo Bill museum. Definately worth the stop.

Yellowstone is on my "Bucket List" of places that I want to visit some day. I have heard that the crowds are terrible but the beauty of the place makes up for it! Thanks for sharing.

Dave, have you ever been to Glacier National Park up in northern Montana? I think we're going to skip Yellowstone and go up there next year around June.

JParrott said:
Dave, have you ever been to Glacier National Park up in northern Montana? I think we're going to skip Yellowstone and go up there next year around June.

I have never been to Glacier, but I spent a week fly fishing in Montana back in 2001. Beautiful country!

JParrott said:

I lived in Helena from 1987 until 2005. Don't skip Yellowstone if you have never been there. While Glacier is spectacular, it is not nearly as diverse in character as Yellowstone.

JParrott said:

I have been to Glacier twice. I would take Yellowstone over Glacier any time. Depending on how much time you have you can do both. Even if one is just a quick trip through to look at the highlights. We might go to Glacier in the future. The wife hasn't been there. If we do go that way it will include a stop in Great Falls at the Charlie Russell museum. I have been there before and it is worth the stop.

Latest posts