yellowish discharge

Help Support CattleToday:

J Baxter

Reaction score
I have a young heifer that has just calved recently. She now has a runny yellowish fluid being discharged from the vagina. Any ideas as to what's wrong or how to cure it?

Thanks

JB

J Baxter":2l4bkcpa said:
I have a young heifer that has just calved recently. She now has a runny yellowish fluid being discharged from the vagina. Any ideas as to what's wrong or how to cure it?

Thanks

JB

This will sound pretty nasty, but get some on your fingers fresh from the cow and smell it. If it's really sour or foul smelling, realizing that foul smelling is in the eyes/nose of the beholder, you might want to check with your vet. If it's just a bit unpleasant or no smell at all I would just write it off as the cleaning process.

dun

J Baxter":m01jz05w said:
How long after calving should the cleaning process take place? It has been 4 weeks today since she calved.

if its been 4 weeks , when you walk up behide her you will know if something is wrong .. if its just a small amount of discharge and does not smell leave her alone .

By 6 weeks I would start to wonder what was going on. But if it doesn't stink it shouldn't be a concern.
A heifer with a really big calf or an older cow may take a little longer for the uterus to return to shape and get everything ready to hold and nurture a calf.

dun

J Baxter":3swlzf8s said:
How long after calving should the cleaning process take place? It has been 4 weeks today since she calved.

its probably just part of her cleaning process but it could also be infection. if she seems "under the weather" i would probably give her some penicillin

Latest posts