Yellow Jackets

Help Support CattleToday:

danl

Reaction score
The other day my wife said she was going to pull some weed under the steps to our deck, I told her to go on in and I would do it.
I reached under there and there was a big hole full of yellow jackets under there. Luckily they just looked at me hatefully and I backed off.
I went in and told my wife "I can't pull those weeds. they are a protected species". She looked at me like I was crazy...

Anyway I waited until dark and mixed gas and diesel and poured a bunch down the hole and killed a lot of them but didn't get them all, there are still quite a few coming out of the hole.

My favorite solution is pour a whole bunch of gas down the hole and torch it. I love the sound of the whooomph...
This nest runs down the side of a retaining wall and I think it would burn the house down. I do not think it is a good idea in this case. Also it is under steps so real hard to get to.

Any suggestions? that do not involve me getting stung multiple times??? or homeless

danl":1dbvahj5 said:
The other day my wife said she was going to pull some weed under the steps to our deck, I told her to go on in and I would do it.
I reached under there and there was a big hole full of yellow jackets under there. Luckily they just looked at me hatefully and I backed off.
I went in and told my wife "I can't pull those weeds. they are a protected species". She looked at me like I was crazy...

Anyway I waited until dark and mixed gas and diesel and poured a bunch down the hole and killed a lot of them but didn't get them all, there are still quite a few coming out of the hole.

My favorite solution is pour a whole bunch of gas down the hole and torch it. I love the sound of the whooomph...
This nest runs down the side of a retaining wall and I think it would burn the house down. I do not think it is a good idea in this case. Also it is under steps so real hard to get to.

Any suggestions? that do not involve me getting stung multiple times??? or homeless

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not saying this will work every time but it worked for me once. Wait until dark and stick a water hose in the hole. Seal around it with dirt and turn the water on. Flood the hole completely and then seal the hole over with a couple big shovels full of dirt. Stamp it down until it is packed. They will drown in the hole.

You were on the right track to start with. Pour the hole full of gas (do not light) and then cover it up with a couple of shovles full of loose dirt. The dirt seals it off so that the fumes kill all of them.

hillbilly beef man":xirxn9ki said:
You were on the right track to start with. Pour the hole full of gas (do not light) and then cover it up with a couple of shovles full of loose dirt. The dirt seals it off so that the fumes kill all of them.

Too much movement around those devils spray something that takes them out at first... yellow jackets have no soul and are relentless and theres so many of them in one hole you wont get them all with the gas and shoveling dirt is enough time for some to escape lol

You know I hate not to try everyone's ideas so. I might just mix up some soap, gas, and sevin dust and pour it all down the hole and cover it up. It will either work or not!!!

There will be no peace at home until they are dead. My wife is deathly afraid of them. Several years ago she was using a push mower where we used to live and ran over a nest.
She they went up her shorts legs and stung her, stung her inside her nose, on her lip, a bunch of them got tangled up in her hair.
I thought she was being murdered.

Needless to say she wants them gone.

The real fun part about this is, I have to get on my hands and knees to get to them. Makes me feel a little vulnerable.

I just wait till night and spray a full can of the 20 foot wasp spray down the hole.

skyhightree1":wm6pq7ss said:
hillbilly beef man":wm6pq7ss said:

Too much movement around those devils spray something that takes them out at first... yellow jackets have no soul and are relentless and theres so many of them in one hole you wont get them all with the gas and shoveling dirt is enough time for some to escape lol

That is why you do this at night when they are not active. Have the lid off the gas can, and already have your shovel already full of dirt. Should only take a few seconds, unless you are using one of those EPA friendly gas cans.

You'll have plenty of time at night. What ever I put it, I would use a funnel.

Wait till night and throw a handful of sevin dust in their hole. Seven will kill honey bees real fast don't see why it wouldn't kill yellow jackets. With the dust in the hole they should carry it down to the rest of the hive.

Throw the sevin dust right at the hole entrance. They carry it in. Just did a huge nest last week during the day. I was using the old sevin dust though.

fitz

dun":2696bel3 said:
I just wait till night and spray a full can of the 20 foot wasp spray down the hole.

I get my 25 gallon sprayer on the mule and pump the hole with seven on the hateful beast.
They get on you you have to scrap them off as they are clamped down with there jaws and stinging at the same time.

Latest posts