Yellow flowers?

Help Support CattleToday:

OleScout

Reaction score
As usual we have a bumper crop of the weeds with the yellow flowers. By now I've usually sprayed with 2-4D but haven't this year. I have more clover this year than I've ever had. Question is do I let the yellow flowers go or spray and damage the clover? Pasture is mostly Bermuda and Bahia.
Yellow flowers will play out when it warms up but they make the place look unkept.

Several types of yellow flowers. I have a little wild mustard. Cows eat it. Neighbors has fields of butter cup, its listed as toxic to humans and cattle. Then there is yellow rocketcress, that the local co-op sprays in crop fields. I've not seen it but i guess its easy to get rid of.

Probably more, but it needs to be identified to know how to or if it needs to be dealt with.

kenny thomas said:
2/4D Amine will take care of the buttercup without doing lots of damage to the clover.

I need to do this myself but I'm pretty sure you need to spray them in March. Am I correct on that?

kentuckyguy said:
kenny thomas said:
2/4D Amine will take care of the buttercup without doing lots of damage to the clover.

I need to do this myself but I'm pretty sure you need to spray them in March. Am I correct on that?
Yes you are correct. But I sprayed Thursday night and I can tell I missed a small strip already. Maybe the crabgrass will come if I kill the buttercup. It's already dying.

Lbass said:
Several types of yellow flowers. I have a little wild mustard. Cows eat it. Neighbors has fields of butter cup, its listed as toxic to humans and cattle. Then there is yellow rocketcress, that the local co-op sprays in crop fields. I've not seen it but i guess its easy to get rid of.

Probably more, but it needs to be identified to know how to or if it needs to be dealt with.

Good point. Proper identification is the first step.

Dandelions on the yellow, Buttercups on the pink. Cows love both and are soft stem and easily digestible. I only use Amine when I have to and do find that once you break the broadleaf cycle, your legumes return and aid in your soil development. What amazes me is how long a seed can survive in the soil, lying dormant for 10's of years and one day.......field full of clover.

I was always told once you see yellow flowers it has set with seed . Need to spray before it blooms.need to spray at least 2 years before bloom to get the seed killed

Mat Man said:
I was always told once you see yellow flowers it has set with seed . Need to spray before it blooms.need to spray at least 2 years before bloom to get the seed killed

Totally correct. But I sprayed this week anyway. Can tell a big difference already. Maybe the crabgrass will come in now. I'm thinking about spraying in November or early December and seeing how it does. 2/4D is cheap enough to try a few acres at least. Getting the grass thick will be the best way to help keep it away once I get it knocked back

Texasmark said:
Lbass said:
Neighbors has fields of butter cup, its listed as toxic to humans and cattle.

Tell that to the cows that lap 'em up!

Your posts says buttercups are pink... So i'm skeptical, but i dont live there or know your cows. Only what i see here.

This is a neighbors, he has true buttercup, you can see the grass in the last picture is grazed to nothing, which is probably what caused this in the first place. But the buttercup is not going to be ate. When the only thing seperating fields that have it and those that dont is a fence... Management issue. Next picture is standing in the same spot just turned 180... No spray or fertilizer, PH is 4.8... Different grazing.

Lbass said:
Texasmark said:
Lbass said:
Neighbors has fields of butter cup, its listed as toxic to humans and cattle.

Your posts says buttercups are pink... So i'm skeptical, but i dont live there or know your cows. Only what i see here.

This is a neighbors, he has true buttercup, you can see the grass in the last picture is grazed to nothing, which is probably what caused this in the first place. But the buttercup is not going to be ate. When the only thing seperating fields that have it and those that dont is a fence... Management issue. Next picture is standing in the same spot just turned 180... No spray or fertilizer, PH is 4.8... Different grazing.

My Buttercups look like a little cup, a few large petals, are pink tips and whitish near the "nectar" area where there is yellow powder. That yellow flower in your picture is surely not Buttercups nor Dandelions. As a matter of fact, I was in a neighbor's pasture yesterday and saw some of those 5 leaf little guys, having never seen them before. Have no idea as to what they are. However Amine (per the label) probably works on them as they probably have the circular structure like most broadleaf weeds to which Amine was designed to control. Grasses, as I read from Ag. school literature, have parallel leaf structures and are immune to Amine...for the most part.

Texasmark said:
Lbass said:
Texasmark said:

My Buttercups look like a little cup, a few large petals, are pink tips and whitish near the "nectar" area where there is yellow powder. That yellow flower in your picture is surely not Buttercups nor Dandelions. As a matter of fact, I was in a neighbor's pasture yesterday and saw some of those 5 leaf little guys, having never seen them before. Have no idea as to what they are. However Amine (per the label) probably works on them as they probably have the circular structure like most broadleaf weeds to which Amine was designed to control. Grasses, as I read from Ag. school literature, have parallel leaf structures and are immune to Amine...for the most part.

What we call a buttercup with the pink flowers is technically a pink primrose. The little yellow flowers are true buttercups. Just not in Texas...

Well I was born and raised in S. Texas, lived in Central Tx., and currently 30 miles south of the Red River...Tx. Ok. border. All my life, I saw the little "pink cups" with the "butter colored" center pollen area and nobody referred to them as anything else. I guess we are a bunch of dumbasses caught up in local coloquialisms! :hide:

The yellow were Dandelions, and the orange were Indian Paintbrush. There was also a Daisy petal looking yellow flower with a big, vertically protruding, dark brown center.......technical name unknown but we did have our slang name for them.

Texasmark said:
Well I was born and raised in S. Texas, lived in Central Tx., and currently 30 miles south of the Red River...Tx. Ok. border. All my life, I saw the little "pink cups" with the "butter colored" center pollen area and nobody referred to them as anything else. I guess we are a bunch of dumbasses caught up in local coloquialisms! :hide:

The yellow were Dandelions, and the orange were Indian Paintbrush. There was also a Daisy petal looking yellow flower with a big, vertically protruding, dark brown center.......technical name unknown but we did have our slang name for them.

#@+5#$@. Toes.. ;-)

callmefence said:
Texasmark said:

#@+5#$@. Toes.. ;-)

:clap:

Its the same way here i assure you. I have yet to figure out what "wire grass" is. Everyone asks what it is and how to get rid of it. They know its hard to cut with a disc bine... But they cant point at a patch of it. How do you help identify something that they cant show you.

Here, wiregrass is common/volunteer bermudagrass.

Latest posts