Yellow Fescue Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have a Minnesota pasture seeded to tall fescue and clover that winter killed pretty hard two years ago. It has come back some, but now it looks yellow from the road and the grass clumps have burnt looking tips up close. I soil test and it needs 50# of N & 20# of sulfur, but the reed canary/alfalfa pasture right next to it is very green in comparison... :?

It is hard to believe that a little N is all that is needed. Are there any special requirements for fescue vs. other cool season grasses that would make fescue look yellow in comparion? I plan to fertilize it and then use it for a winter stockpile.

Stocker Steve":3u5qv4sa said:
I have a Minnesota pasture seeded to tall fescue and clover that winter killed pretty hard two years ago. It has come back some, but now it looks yellow from the road and the grass clumps have burnt looking tips up close. I soil test and it needs 50# of N & 20# of sulfur, but the reed canary/alfalfa pasture right next to it is very green in comparison... :?

It is hard to believe that a little N is all that is needed. Are there any special requirements for fescue vs. other cool season grasses that would make fescue look yellow in comparion? I plan to fertilize it and then use it for a winter stockpile.
What have your temps been like, is it seeded out?

dun":wc0i1hlt said:
What have your temps been like, is it seeded out?[/quote]

It has been a cool and damp summer after 3 years of drought. Highs have mostly been in the 70s lately.

There were a few heads when I clipped in on 7/4. It has not grown much since.

The temps tell me it's not going dormant. The yellow to me usually means it needs iron. Here we don;t have a problem with it so I don;t know how one would go about increasing the iron. In the desert we sprayed some kind of liquid stuff but I don;t know what it was called

dun":2wj388zi said:
The temps tell me it's not going dormant. The yellow to me usually means it needs iron. Here we don;t have a problem with it so I don;t know how one would go about increasing the iron. In the desert we sprayed some kind of liquid stuff but I don;t know what it was called

Iron Chealate. Runs about $20 for a 5 gallon container. 1 - 1.5 pints/acre will make it lush green. Will enhance photosynthesis. Don't overspray or you will have more than just brown tips.

Jogeephus":9owkzwpj said:
dun":9owkzwpj said:

Iron Chealate. Runs about $20 for a 5 gallon container. 1 - 1.5 pints/acre will make it lush green. Will enhance photosynthesis. Don't overspray or you will have more than just brown tips.

The hay fields in the desert ran right at 160 acres each. An airplane came in and fogged them with whatever it was. Super phosphate was done the same way. Those are the only 2 things that ever went on the fields.

Jogeephus":3hh35l1b said:
dun":3hh35l1b said:

I have not heard of applying iron. Do some forages need more?

Jogeephus":rw5xkhxs said:
dun":rw5xkhxs said:

Jo, I have a similar problem with my fescue and orchardgrass pastures. 3-4" on the tip of the blades turning brown even when fertilizer and adequate water are present. I have a keen interest in your reply. I'd like to hear more on this subject. How do you apply the iron chealate, etc. Thanks.

Get articles Dun!
I was surprized by the low response of mixed stands at 200# of forage for 30# N, and the high response of grazing steers at1# beef for 5# supplement.
I know both responses are extemely seasonal, but the supplement data was for the entire summer.

Latest posts