Yeild Grade 0 ??

Help Support CattleToday:

Red Bull Breeder

Reaction score
I no that i rode the short bus, ( couldn't get along bus to where i live) but i don't recall ever reading anthing about yeild grade 0. Maybe 4ctophand will explain it to me.

Red Bull Breeder":4g0n9ugq said:
I no that i rode the short bus, ( couldn't get along bus to where i live) but i don't recall ever reading anthing about yeild grade 0. Maybe 4ctophand will explain it to me.
thats simple,,,,, its nothing ;-)

Red Bull Breeder":1jah529w said:

He said he would be back in a week, maybe he is off to a meeting where they are going to raise the bar in beef standard? :lol2:

As much as I hate to admit it, the village idiot may not be completly wrong on this on (it hurts to say it).

If I remember right from college YG is a mathmatical calculation using backfat depth, KPH fat, REA and carcass weight. I know USDA graders don't have time to run the math on each and every calf coming down the line, but in the acedemic world it could happen.

Keep in mind that I'm trying to recall figures from a part of my brain that had a lot of self induced damage 12oz at a time.

.2" BF= Prelim YG 2.5
.4" BF= PYG 3.0
.6' BF= PYG 3.5

Base KPH = 3.5% +/- .1YG for each .5%
REA 600# HCW=11.0
700# HCW=12.2
800# HCW=13.4
+/- .1 YG for each .3in2 REA

So IF you had a steer that had a 600# carcass with .2BF, .5KPH and a 14in2 REA that would make him a YG 0.9

2.5 Base - .6 (KPH) - 1.0 (REA)

Now I would like to see the steer that could do this, but I really don't think that I would want to have him on feed.

Yield grades can go below 1. In fact, Laura's Lean Beef pays it's highest premium for a YG less than 1. But I don't think it's possible to go to zero.

Red Bull Breeder":ppskorn8 said:
Sure I can explain it to you --- ya ever seen a Limi hanging on the rail that has zero fat covering>? Thats a goose egg; the big nill; a zero.... And there are other breeds too that quite often YG 0 --like White Park,
Chianina, Brahman, Sahiwal, Saler, Belgian Blue, Bison..... need I go on?
Heck a black bear out of eastern NC has a better YG eating berries and tubers and an ocassional fish than all the Limmi's you could round up in France.

I would think for the YG to be absolutely zero all the components of the calculation would have to be zero, meaning NO backfat, etc. According to my animal science class this last semester the four components of YG are amount of backfat, kidney/heart/pelvic fat, area of ribeye muscle, and hot carcass weight. There's no way an animal could have NO ribeye muscle or hot carcass weight.

LoveMoo11":17mka8ls said:
I would think for the YG to be absolutely zero all the components of the calculation would have to be zero, meaning NO backfat, etc. According to my animal science class this last semester the four components of YG are amount of backfat, kidney/heart/pelvic fat, area of ribeye muscle, and hot carcass weight. There's no way an animal could have NO ribeye muscle or hot carcass weight.

That's what Jethro said. "An ot (alt) plus an ot equals ot." :nod:

dyates":2bxt0lmt said:
LoveMoo11":2bxt0lmt said:

You are too busy in the weeds in search of anyting to prove yourself right --who cares --all the measurements calculated a 0.9 will never be a 1
It is a ZERO. :tiphat:

4CTophand":11juklca said:
dyates":11juklca said:
LoveMoo11":11juklca said:

You are too busy in the weeds in search of anyting to prove yourself right --who cares --all the measurements calculated a 0.9 will never be a 1

Yes it will not be a 1 it will be a .9 and not a 0

4CTophand":1y0vaisv said:
dyates":1y0vaisv said:
LoveMoo11":1y0vaisv said:

That was kind of insulting...I was trying to be helpful.
and last time i checked .9 was not zero it was .9

I would love to see some proof where 4C gets YG of 0 from, and that includes a link to the place where he got it from.

Been looking on the web for some good sources on carcass evaluation and quality, and didn't find nothing that had a YG 0 included.

All I found was that the highest yeild grade was 1 and lowest was 5. With the exception of having a tenth of an estimate, like YG 0.9.

But as far as that.... :???:

Here's where I was looking:

http://www.canadianbeef.info/ca/en/rt/q ... fault.aspx

http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8130.pdf

http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare ... 608web.pdf

http://www.thebeefsite.com/articles/750 ... ta-reports

And finally, though there certainly where more:

http://www.silvaculler.com.ar/library/fs768.pdf

Well 4cTopper I think i will go with the majority and say there is no yeild grade zero. And yes i have seen a few Limis hanging on the rail and they all had about one half inch of backfat. And almost zero waste Just enough fat to make the ground about 90/10 which is what i like.

Are you guys still beating this zero to death! :lol2:

Red Bull Breeder":137y0dvs said:
Whole bunch of us is trying RD Sam but we just can't seem kill it.

The danged nought just won't go away will it! :cry2:

That's what Jethro said. "An ot (alt) plus an ot equals ot." :nod:[/quote]
You are too busy in the weeds in search of anything to prove yourself right --who cares --all the measurements calculated a 0.9 will never be a 1
It is a ZERO. :tiphat:[/quote]

and last time i checked .9 was not zero it was .9[/quote]
you are too busy in the weeds --- these cattle like Limmis they are always low on YG 0 > 0.9 > 1 all equals a dock in price--
that is the point--- now that being said (yall need to learn to think outside the box---) how do we improve that carcass since there are some ppl that think these cattle have something to offer the industry -- which they do-- but not straight Limmi... gotta cross this breed or you lose---- lets use Angus lol

4CTophand":pbrlaivm said:
That's what Jethro said. "An ot (alt) plus an ot equals ot." :nod:[/quote
You are too busy in the weeds in search of anything to prove yourself right --who cares --all the measurements calculated a 0.9 will never be a 1
and last time i checked .9 was not zero it was .9
you are too busy in the weeds --- these cattle like Limmis they are always low on YG 0 > 0.9 > 1 all equals a dock in price--
that is the point--- now that being said (yall need to learn to think outside the box---) how do we improve that carcass since there are some ppl that think these cattle have something to offer the industry -- which they do-- but not straight Limmi... gotta cross this breed or you lose---- lets use Angus lol

That doesn't sound like you're making and effort to give us factual and hard evidence that there are papers or sites or books or whatever that YG 0 exists.

I'm still waiting....as is a bunch of other folks....

4CTophand":r9xlxjj8 said:
It is a ZERO. :tiphat:[/quote]

and last time i checked .9 was not zero it was .9[/quote]
that is the point--- now that being said (yall need to learn to think outside the box---) how do we improve that carcass since there are some ppl that think these cattle have something to offer the industry -- which they do-- but not straight Limmi... gotta cross this breed or you lose---- lets use Angus lol[/quote]

That's called LimFlex to you. Haven't we beat this bush to death already too? :banana:

Latest posts