Yearly vaccines

Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
Small farm of 15-20 cow - calves and one bill. What type vaccination program do I need with out breaking the bank. I have been looking at "enforce 3 cattle vaccine" . It is the nasal injection in each nostril. Also other shots that might be needed such as blackleg and such. I am trying to get my coral complete with head gate setup by October this year and want to get every on one order.

Tom, we use Vira Shield 6 and Covexin 8 that our local vet recomended. We vaccinate calves at around 4 months and then again 1 month later, and the cows yearly.

Tomcolvin said:
Small farm of 15-20 cow - calves and one bill. What type vaccination program do I need with out breaking the bank. I have been looking at "enforce 3 cattle vaccine" . It is the nasal injection in each nostril. Also other shots that might be needed such as blackleg and such. I am trying to get my coral complete with head gate setup by October this year and want to get every on one order.

A little more information is needed to give a good answer.
What is your end game for your calves? Pull them off the cows and straight to the sale barn, 45days weaned two rounds of shots, finishing them out? Do you have a closed herd or do you buy cows at the sale barn?
Guys that but feeder cattle at the sale barn will want calves that have been weaned and had two rounds of respiratory vaccines. (BVD 1&2, IBR, PR3, BRSV), Pasteurella, and Haemophilus. 7way blk leg w/ pinkeye will be important to you, but not as much to the next owner.
Inforce3 is a great product I use it on baby calves. It's a fast response, relatively short term vaccine.
Your cows probably only need a respiratory vaccine with vibro & lepto, and a seven way blk leg w/ pinkeye. Worm and pour as required. If you have trouble with scours in new born calves, a scour vaccine for your cows is a good investment.
Implants and wormer always some of the best investments you can make in your calves.

Tomcolvin said:

All good advice above. A lot of time, some vaccines are needed based on location. I would talk to your vet and set up a vaccination protocol.

Boy do I have a lot to learn. I always thought the term closed herd was maybe some keeping their heifers to bred back. I never have done that but it seemed logical to me for the term. No , I have about 12 cows and a bull and I sell the calves off at about 6-7 months old. I haven't sold many but a few were sold privately to other cattle people. Only twice have I sold at the sale barn. I want to give the vaccines to the calves before selling because I don't want people saying I don't take care of my cows. Like I said, I'm new at this and for 5 years I have been building my herd and now I have 4 calves about 7 months old who have never had anything but 2 of them had a Just Once nasal vaccine for pneumonia. The other two has had nothing. I am fixing my coral so I can do my whole herd and calves that leave the herd. Thanks for guidance.

I always thought the term closed herd was maybe some keeping their heifers to bred back.
"Closed herd" traditionally means you have an established group of animals and don't incorporate bulls nor females from outside sources.
Your local large animal DVM will assist you regarding herd health & vaccination recommendations.

SBMF 2015 said:
Tomcolvin said:

A little more information is needed to give a good answer.
What is your end game for your calves? Pull them off the cows and straight to the sale barn, 45days weaned two rounds of shots, finishing them out? Do you have a closed herd or do you buy cows at the sale barn?
Guys that but feeder cattle at the sale barn will want calves that have been weaned and had two rounds of respiratory vaccines. (BVD 1&2, IBR, PR3, BRSV), Pasteurella, and Haemophilus. 7way blk leg w/ pinkeye will be important to you, but not as much to the next owner.
Inforce3 is a great product I use it on baby calves. It's a fast response, relatively short term vaccine.
Your cows probably only need a respiratory vaccine with vibro & lepto, and a seven way blk leg w/ pinkeye. Worm and pour as required. If you have trouble with scours in new born calves, a scour vaccine for your cows is a good investment.
Implants and wormer always some of the best investments you can make in your calves.

For your own good at least give the 7way Blackleg. The Blackleg can stay in the ground for 20+ years. And if only working them once use Alpha 7. It's a one shot where others require a booster.
I give Inforce 3 at birth and band the bull calves. Every calf gets a tag at birth also matching their mother. That way if something is wrong I know exactly which calf goes with which cow.
As advised above talk to your local vet