yearling weights on bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

rjk

Reaction score
Due to excessive birth weights on my Limousin bull, (2.4 bw epd, 76 # actual), I purchased an Angus bull to get the Limflex cross, and a lower birth weight calf. The Angus had a yearly weight of 1124 on the papers, and had been fed, but to what extent I am not sure. I have a yearling Limousin bull from the above bull, and with enough feed to make him want to the corral, his yearly weight was 780#. I know the Angus was probably fed, but 344 # adds up to a lot of cash that isn't in my pocket. My mind has several questions, and I know that one bull is not a fair comparison, but none of us want to leave cash on the table. Are Limousin later maturing than Angus? I am sure the feed quantity on the Angus was enough to put more weight on it, I weighed it on the way home when purchasing the 15 month old bull and it was around 1200. The Limousin is from good stock, the cow had her first calf, a heifer, the previous year from the same sire, (Hunts Hi-Liter lineage), that had a 9 month weight of 700. I know the Limflex cross will probably add to the weights produced, and that is the bottom line, but I still wonder if this yearling bull is average or below average. I have 5 more registered bulls from the same sire, all with birth weights of 92 to 102 pounds. I will see what their weights do this year, but I know not all of them will be good enough to sell as bulls. Having a lot of second thoughts on raising the registered animals, not sure if it worth the extra time keeping them, or if I would be ahead to sell them as commercial with the other calves. I would appreciate your advice and comments on the above, as profit is what we all hope to make.
Thanks in advance,
Rick

You can take any bull to 1000lbs + at 12 months with feed and you can keep any bull at 780lbs at 12 months with a lack of feed.

On forage alone with no supplement (not even after weaning) I want my hereford bulls to hit 400kg at 12 months. (882lbs)

I think if you want to sell bulls you will need to get the yearling weight up. Your right about getting the birth weights down. Buyers want some size on their yearling bulls by the time the bulls will be breeding at 14-16 months. Your going to need to get your calves on some grain.

rjk":26sq53vr said:
Due to excessive birth weights on my Limousin bull, (2.4 bw epd, 76 # actual), I purchased an Angus bull to get the Limflex cross, and a lower birth weight calf. The Angus had a yearly weight of 1124 on the papers, and had been fed, but to what extent I am not sure. I have a yearling Limousin bull from the above bull, and with enough feed to make him want to the corral, his yearly weight was 780#. I know the Angus was probably fed, but 344 # adds up to a lot of cash that isn't in my pocket. My mind has several questions, and I know that one bull is not a fair comparison, but none of us want to leave cash on the table. Are Limousin later maturing than Angus? I am sure the feed quantity on the Angus was enough to put more weight on it, I weighed it on the way home when purchasing the 15 month old bull and it was around 1200. The Limousin is from good stock, the cow had her first calf, a heifer, the previous year from the same sire, (Hunts Hi-Liter lineage), that had a 9 month weight of 700. I know the Limflex cross will probably add to the weights produced, and that is the bottom line, but I still wonder if this yearling bull is average or below average. I have 5 more registered bulls from the same sire, all with birth weights of 92 to 102 pounds. I will see what their weights do this year, but I know not all of them will be good enough to sell as bulls. Having a lot of second thoughts on raising the registered animals, not sure if it worth the extra time keeping them, or if I would be ahead to sell them as commercial with the other calves. I would appreciate your advice and comments on the above, as profit is what we all hope to make.
Thanks in advance,
Rick

Rick, you're right not to compare the weights of the Limi bull and the Angus bull if they were managed differently. The Angus Assn publishes the average actual BW, WW and YW weights reported to the Assn every year. Probably the NALF does the same thing. Look for that and you can compare your animals to breed average.

We've been raising registered Angus cattle for many years and have made some money with them. But it is more work. You'll just have to decide if raising registered stock is worth the hassle for you.

dyates":34j4e7m4 said:
Were you in one of the drought areas with poor forage while this bull was nursing?
I was going to inquire about the same thing. Where are you located?
Although you should not compare 1 bull from one breed to another breed, breed averages can tell you a lot. Limousin is a GROWTH breed. Under good nutritional grazing situations, your cows should be weaning calves in the 600-700# range.
Knersie has GREAT Hereford cattle. He is saying he likes his yearling bulls to be at least just under 900# on forage alone. Hereford breed is not the expected growth breed as a Limousin.
It sounds like the Angus bull is right on tract of where he should be - and your Limo is considerably lighter than he should be - basing this solely on "expected" breed performance.

We have had flood the previous 2 years, last year the red clover was everywhere, this year a lot of white clover. Vet said there was a lot of big calves born this year, and some suspect the clover and ideal growing conditions last year. The clover from last year sure makes the deer season a lot better, saw more deer in hay meadow than ever before.

predicting cow weight is the only thing YW is good for in a cow/calf operation and nobody uses it.

what a fun rat race.

Frankie":3p0wppd9 said:
rjk":3p0wppd9 said:
Thanks in advance,
Rick

Rick, you're right not to compare the weights of the Limi bull and the Angus bull if they were managed differently. The Angus Assn publishes the average actual BW, WW and YW weights reported to the Assn every year. Probably the NALF does the same thing. Look for that and you can compare your animals to breed average.

We've been raising registered Angus cattle for many years and have made some money with them. But it is more work. You'll just have to decide if raising registered stock is worth the hassle for you.

Frankie, where are the weights? I was looking for them the other day on the site and couldn't find them.

Latest posts