Yearling Injections For Bovine?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hello I am new to the whole cattle bussiness,
and i am loving it, Since you guys are the pros i would like to know what Injections/Medicnes are recomended For Yearlings, Which is also at the time i am wishing to do my branding.

Thank you very much for your time Bill. :cowboy:

:welcome: From Virginia.
Ask your vet and some of the cattle producers what is needed for your area. Different things may be needed according to where you are.

Do you vaccinate them as calves? If so, with what? If not,.....then they have already made it through the calf stage and all of its risk. We don't do anything with our yearlings but watch them eat grass and grow. Im just not one for treating an entire herd for something that one animal MIGHT get. Not cost effective. We pour everything with Ivermec in the spring and fall for any bugs that might be lurking. If we don't use the Ivermec we get lice pretty bad in late winter/ early spring. Nothing wrong with asking the vet in your area though, I know if I lived down south in a warmer climate I would have to do some things differently.

randiliana":275d6qxd said:
Where are you from and what are your yearlings? Bred heifers, feeder heifers or feeder steers? That'll help with the suggestions.

First off thank you everyone for the replies i am from Canada,Ontario and they are bred heifers . thanks for your time.

CanadianCowboy":3srh1y4c said:
randiliana":3srh1y4c said:
Where are you from and what are your yearlings? Bred heifers, feeder heifers or feeder steers? That'll help with the suggestions.

First off thank you everyone for the replies i am from Canada,Ontario and they are bred heifers . thanks for your time.

Also i should add i bought them as yearlings, and when i do get to breed them eventually i should give them shots as calves and yearlings? or just at branding as yearlings thanks bill

CanadianCowboy":19cquhq9 said:
CanadianCowboy":19cquhq9 said:
randiliana":19cquhq9 said:

Also i should add i bought them as yearlings, and when i do get to breed them eventually i should give them shots as calves and yearlings? or just at branding as yearlings thanks bill
Well the way we do it is to brand, vaccinate and castrate all at once. This way we only have to work them through the corral once as calves. We do it at about 3 months of age and we use a 7 way vaccination. I think Ultrabac 7 is what we use if I remember. You can research it to see what it covers. After that, we don't do anything with them as far as vaccinations go unless we are treating them for something.

Hello fellow Canadian. If they are bred heifers they need to be vaccinated with a killed vaccine. Talk t you LA vet and get them on a program. Porbably a good idea to get the vet to do them first and show you if you have never done them before.

Most important get them on a health protocal and get your vet involved with the health of your herd..

Good luck and :welcome: .

Worst case scenario go and get some 8 Way from your local store and give it to them - the entire herd - two injections 4-6 weeks apart if memory serves - will keep you fairly well protected in your part of the world - and YES your veterinarian is the local pro.

Spend the time and the money - his/her expertise will come in handy some day and if you are not considered a client you may be told they are too busy to come. Trust me when I say that you will need that expertise someday - I can guarantee it. I prefer live vaccines but that is just me - and you cannot use them now - perhaps later - once you decide how you want to carry on.

Now go over to your post on hay and say thank you - it is considered polite

Regards

Bez+

Latest posts