Yearling Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Backbone Ranch

Reaction score
I thought that I would post some photos of our yearling heifers. We kept back a total of 7 heifers from last year's calf crop and they are currently 13 and 14 months old. We will be breeding them this fall to calve at 2 1/2 years of age.

This heifer was born on March 20th last year. She had an 80 lb birth weight and is out of an older AI sire named MCC Trigger's Champion. Trigger's Champion was born in 1979 and goes back to several bulls that were considered legends of their time. I am excited to see how she develops over the coming months.
BB_Sapphire_14_months_.jpg

This heifer is sired by our primary herd bull, BB Uncle Tony, and is out of an 8 1/2 year old cow. She will have a bit more frame to her than some of our other heifers. She was 76 lbs at birth. This heifer and the 620 heifer are probably my favorite two heifers out of this group of heifers.
BB_Ruby_14_months_.jpg

The heifer on the left is a 14 month old daughter of OK Buford, our current back-up bull. She was 74 lbs at birth. We tested her for tenderness genes with Igenity and she came back as a perfect 10 out of 10 for tenderness. The heifer on the right is a 13 month old daughter of BB Uncle Tony. She was 80 lbs at birth and is 75% Murray Grey x 25% Angus. Her mother is currently a 7 1/2 year old that is one of our best cows.
BB_Amber_and_BB_Coral_14_months_.jpg

These two aren't heifers, but I thought that I would share them anyways. Both of these cows are 7 1/2 year olds that are 50% Murray Grey x 50% Angus. They are right around a frame score of 4.5 and weigh between 1400 and 1500 lbs, depending on the time of year. They weaned their first calves back in 2012 at 604 and 620 lbs.
DH_Betty_and_DH_Corrine_7_5_years_.jpg

This is the same cow pictured above on the left. She is raising a really nice bull calf this year and is the mother of the 624 heifer shown in an earlier photo.
DH_Corrine_7_5_years_.jpg

thanks! I've been wondering what the Murray Grey/Angus looked like. Would love to AI one of my Angus to MG

WalnutCrest":11o5jd1a said:
boondocks":11o5jd1a said:
thanks! I've been wondering what the Murray Grey/Angus looked like. Would love to AI one of my Angus to MG

There is one way way to scratch that itch -- call BBR and buy some semen!
thinking about it. I have an Angus mama that I'm on the fence between selling and going in a non-registered direction...We really need to sell some as we are overstocked due to about 80%+ heifers the past few years. But yes, I've long admired the MGs, just still a bit unsure about the climate issue.

boondocks":3n7inl8m said:
WalnutCrest":3n7inl8m said:
boondocks":3n7inl8m said:

There is one way way to scratch that itch -- call BBR and buy some semen!
thinking about it. I have an Angus mama that I'm on the fence between selling and going in a non-registered direction...We really need to sell some as we are overstocked due to about 80%+ heifers the past few years. But yes, I've long admired the MGs, just still a bit unsure about the climate issue.

Climate issue?

I appreciate the comments everybody! We are still growing our herd and retaining about 8 heifer calves each year, but we are really happy with this set of yearlings.
Boondocks- If you are worried about the cold weather, don't be. I know of breeders who have Murray Grey herds in Vermont, Wisconsin, Colorado, and upstate New York and they do quite well up there. I have some older literature on the breed that goes back to the 1970s and 80s. One of the articles in an old newspaper was written by an Australian Murray Grey breeder that visited several Murray Grey herds in Montana; he commented on, to his surprise, how well they did in the Montana winters.

Backbone Ranch":12b29ksr said:
I appreciate the comments everybody! We are still growing our herd and retaining about 8 heifer calves each year, but we are really happy with this set of yearlings.
Boondocks- If you are worried about the cold weather, don't be. I know of breeders who have Murray Grey herds in Vermont, Wisconsin, Colorado, and upstate New York and they do quite well up there. I have some older literature on the breed that goes back to the 1970s and 80s. One of the articles in an old newspaper was written by an Australian Murray Grey breeder that visited several Murray Grey herds in Montana; he commented on, to his surprise, how well they did in the Montana winters.

Interesting, thanks. Coincidentally, I tripped across an ad this am from someone in New York selling Murray Greys. Hadn't heard of the area and haven't had a chance to look at it but it's nice to know they can handle cold well.
Cows here have to be able to handle everything from 90+ degrees in summer to wind chills of -30 and up to three feet of snow per day in winter. (And at our place do it w/o grain). But that's not the hard part. The hard part is the long cold rainy spring and fall, with temps just over freezing for seemingly months....as you can tell I'm ready for spring, which ain't exactly sprung yet! Looks like we'll go right into summer.

Latest posts