Yearling heifer size?

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
When do you all think a yearling heifer is to big. I just bought two beautiful black white faced heifers, they are Hereford, Angus and Simmental cross. They just turned a year old the end of March and I'll say they will weigh 950 lbs. Just wondering when is to big to big. B&G

I go more by shoulder height, at yearling I like them about to the bottom to middle of my shirt pocket, I'm 5 9

They sound about right to me. Muscle weighs more, so a heavier muscled animal will weigh more than a lighter muscled animal of the same height and age. Our SIMM females are all of that at a year of age, and most frame out between 5.8 and 6.5 frame.

Black and Good":1blxozb9 said:
When do you all think a yearling heifer is to big. I just bought two beautiful black white faced heifers, they are Hereford, Angus and Simmental cross. They just turned a year old the end of March and I'll say they will weigh 950 lbs. Just wondering when is to big to big. B&G

You better start breaking them to that 2 wheeled cart for the county fairs buddy! :lol2: ;-)

I've never had one that I thought was too heavy, though I don't like it if they're too leggy without the depth to back it up with. I weigh taped mine, and I think they're around 900ish (68-69" chests)

Black and Good":3653n3lf said:

Weight by eye is a crap shoot - the only TRUE weight is a scale

Breed them and be happy

Bez__

Thanks 3way, This site is to complex for me to figure out how to post pics. Anyway there they are. I thought everyone might like to see them. The pic doesn't do them justice in the depth department they are deep bodied but I don't think they look it there. I thought they were purrty, so I paid the price. LOL B&G

Latest posts