yearling heifer in Calve

Help Support CattleToday:

picture is a little dark. Other than rare infection in her glands. It would appear to me that she is bagging up. I had that happen to me a few years ago with one and she was only six months old, it was some type of infection don't remember what it was called.

After losing a heifer last year, we give them all a shot at weaning to abort any that might have gotten bred. Cheaper than losing one. Hindsight for you I know, but as they say: Been there, done that.

Not the best picture, but from what I can see I would have to say she is bred.

one thing is for sure: she is scared to death. :)

RedAngus121":h58npt8t said:
has any one ever seen one that Had the Calve and was ok bred Back.

Yes. We had two yearling heifers calve year before last - both of them had to have help, but they delivered, raised their calves - pretty good calves, too, considering the circumstances, breed back on time and delivered on time the next spring.

Yep, we have had several. They were bred at four - six months before they were weaned & while still running with mom. MOM was the one the bull was supposed to be covering, not the whole family!! They calved fine, we helped one, not the hardest pull we've done but not easy, mainly because of the large size of the calf and the smaller height of the cow - we ran out of pulling room before we ran out of calf! There were no after effects other than for the first couple years the girls were smaller than the other non-mom heifers. But they have all caught up. Calves looked good too when we weaned.

We pull our bulls earlier now - ;-)

We Took her to the Vet today and She is Bred Shes in the 3rd Period The Vet Said he doesnt think she will be able to have the calve.

We Cant Decide what to do we really dont want to get rid of her. :x

RedAngus121":3vxmcnjf said:
We Cant Decide what to do we really dont want to get rid of her. :x

Well, if you don't want to get rid of her the only other alternative at this stage of the game is to keep an eye on her. When she's bagged up pretty good and has dilated a fair amount, move her close to the house where you can watch her and get her help when she starts calving. 3rd trimester is a little late for aborting, I'm thinking.

yeah the Vet said you could still do it but the Chances of her Breding Back arent very good.

She Should Calve some time in May.

Bought a replacement heifer that had the same year ear tag, all her baby teeth and settled right in wit the others. Expected her to be ready for the May/June season...she calved in April and bred back in June...had a smaller calf, if she has another slow grower they both will be finding new surroundings. DMc

We had one that got bred at weaning time once. Calved at 13 months old or so and actually did just fine. I was surprised.

Latest posts