Yearling Calf Staggers After Pour-on Ivermectin

Help Support CattleToday:

Walking W

Reaction score
I just gave Ivermectin pour on dewormer to two steers. I checked on them about 30 minutes latter. One was fine but the other was unsteady on his feet and actually laid down with his head stretched out. When I approached him he jumped up but was actually listing sideways. He was drooling much more than usual. When I approached again, he moved away but his back legs crossed and he nearly went down. It has been about 3 hours now and he looks fine.

I checked side effects and this matches the description of ivermectin affecting the nerve system. The dosage was a little more than required but not by more than 20%. I did have the vet apply Ivermectin injectable four months ago.

Any experiences with side-effects? Should I avoid ivermectin with this steer?

I have read the side effects but have never experienced it. I would also consider other possible causes.

I 've lost one I believe due to accidental double pour. At least I believe that's what killed it.
Similar symptoms.
Kinda worrisome when I think about how much I've spilled on myself.

callmefence":53c8gbt5 said:
I 've lost one I believe due to accidental double pour. At least I believe that's what killed it.
Similar symptoms.
Kinda worrisome when I think about how much I've spilled on myself.

Ain't that the truth! Same with UltraBoss. I get at least a double dose everytime I use it..

Latest posts