yearling bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

deenranch

Reaction score
14Y_B_03232012.jpg

Gridmaker x Illusion N111 bull at 14 months

A_51Y_B_03232012.jpg

Reality x Cigar bull at 12 months

I rarely look at Charolais but I like them. I have pondered about a white bull with my black cows, I am impressed with those silver calves but I am also afraid to actually do it.

nice looking bulls. i've always liked your profile pic by the way.

coxy,

if you do a search on here there is a fair amount of talk about char's as a terminal bull in a 3 way cross. just keep it away from heifers.

E in PA":2hhizpmj said:
nice looking bulls. i've always liked your profile pic by the way.

coxy,

if you do a search on here there is a fair amount of talk about char's as a terminal bull in a 3 way cross. just keep it away from heifers.

There's plenty of calving ease Char's around these days.

These ain't the same ole Charolais your grandad ran. I just sold my purebred Charolais heifer bull. Never got a calf that weighed over 72# at birth. The Charolais breeder have made great improvements in the past 20 years.

You have to buy the right bull. There are genetics in every breed that shouldn't be put on heifers.

If we keep breeding bulls that have 50-60# calves and keep those heifers and breed them to the same kind of bull. Eventually those heifers won't be able to have anything but a 50# calf. Think about it for a minute. If we keep going in the same direction we are gonna have to find bulls that will throw 25# calves.

I don't keep anything out of my heifer bulls. Cause when I breed them to my regular herdsire, I don't want to worry about a 5 year old cow having an 80-85# calf. JMO

I'm a char man, or atleast I have several in my herd. I often use a char bull. I would'nt breed hiefers to one. Infact the hiefers themselves will many times over ride a calving ease bull.

Latest posts