yearling bulls how much

Help Support CattleToday:

MAGONZ1969

Reaction score
just wondering if anyone knows what yearling bulls are bringing. I got a few yearling bulls in the range of about 800-850 lbs and was thinking about selling them. Called sale barn in columbus Nebraska and asked one of the guys there what he thought they would bring and he told me they would bring about 1.10 lb.. Does that sound right to you or is that low? He said prices have fallen some and I'm just not sure about it. I suppose I could keep them longer and let them get bigger and heavier. Would that be a good idea? What do you think about this price? Your input will help me figure this out better.

Around here they have been bringing as much as 1.23. I would say that if you are feeding them anything that costs you, I would get them sold pretty quick you are not making much per pound past 850lbs. But the market is headed up so you might wait a couple weeks and see but I would not think about growing them much more.

I can say that registered yearling bulls for breeding have dropped quiet a bit recently. They used to bring $2000 each, but recent sales are running around $1500 IF you can get them sold. The talk is that less cows, so less need for bulls, but breeders are keeping the same amount around so there are too many.

MAGONZ1969":3cr4gzfn said:
just wondering if anyone knows what yearling bulls are bringing. I got a few yearling bulls in the range of about 800-850 lbs and was thinking about selling them. Called sale barn in columbus Nebraska and asked one of the guys there what he thought they would bring and he told me they would bring about 1.10 lb.. Does that sound right to you or is that low? He said prices have fallen some and I'm just not sure about it. I suppose I could keep them longer and let them get bigger and heavier. Would that be a good idea? What do you think about this price? Your input will help me figure this out better.

Unless you have the papers, the clientelle, the breeding reputation and some stellar animals, the fact remains you will likely get nothing but meat prices. The day they hit the sale barn it is nothing but a coin toss. What they go for on that day is what the price is.

I do not know you, but I do know that far too many people keep bull calves whole to sell into the breeding market - probably 90% of them should be cut. You might actually have done better on steers. We sold lots in the buck fifty to buck seventy range this year. But I honestly think pricing is going south for a while.

Folks around here are not buying too many bulls right now - but there will be a small run on the market come another month or so when the girls go out on grass - you might want to keep them and get the word out through the grapevine - if you get some folks coming to visit they might be more interested in buying. Around here the time seems to be mid May to early June - yours will be a bit heavier at that time.

Just something to consider.

Unfortunately we are all price takers and not price setters. Be nice if it was the other way around.

Snowing hard here today - and now freezing rain. My folks called and their place is running on the generator for the past couple of hours and I figure our power will go out soon as well.

Where the heck IS that global warming?

Best to you

Bez

if they are run of the mill bulls $1.10 a lb is about right.4 or 5 months ago my newphew an his buddy bought a 10 month old reg beefmast bull calf for $2500 delivered to a meeting point.

Latest posts