yearling bull

Help Support CattleToday:

I have heard it said that they should be able to cover the same number of cows as they are months old. I would add that it would also be dependent on the condition the bull was in too, as well as if he passed a breeding soundness exam.

Have had them cover up to 20 if they're in shape and keen on showing interest, and not just waddling around behind the cows. Could maybe handle more, but no use pushing it as I have plenty of bulls around.

Yaer before last out 15 month old bull covered 8 cows succesfully, none of the others he was in with settled

I have always heard the age in months to cows ratio too. But not sure how that works. Maybe if a 15 month old bull is put in with 15 cows that are in heat or ready to come in heat, he may have all he can handle. But in a pasture situation your not gonna have all yours cows calve at the same time and all come in heat at the same time at least I don't.
So if he gets a little break in the action occasionally looks like he could cover more.

wbvs58":3jf2jjja said:
They grow into the job as well. They grow up real quick.

Ken
Unless they lose interest. That's what happened with our bull. The day we preg checked and had mostly open cows, there was a cow in standing heat. Stupid bull had no interest at all. That's why it was good that it was sale day. We loaded him straight on the trailer and hauled him to the salebarn.

True yearling I'd say 0, alot at bull tests won't pass BSE that young, but will come back at 14 months and pass fine, then I'd go with the 1 per age in months.

We had two 13 month old bulls breed 45 cows in about 2 months last summer but that may not happen very often and the bulls came off the cows looking a little rough. I think they worked themselves a little too hard. They only left 3 open though and one of those calved while they were out there and didn't come back into heat until we pulled them and another one the vet thought had to much scarring to breed so they got almost all possibilities.

Ojp6":3ufi5xbw said:
We had two 13 month old bulls breed 45 cows in about 2 months last summer but that may not happen very often and the bulls came off the cows looking a little rough. I think they worked themselves a little too hard.
A lot depends on the bull. Our previous bull was 14 months and bred 26 cows in 8 weeks. Even after they were all bred he still did his multiple times a day check of the girls to see if he was going to get some that day.

15 months is where I prefer to have them. As said, depends on bull's libido and condition. Put him in during a hot spell and expect less. If you have the option use two and rotate one week in and one week out with good feed.