Yearling Bull on the Run

Help Support CattleToday:

detn8r":2he1pdl5 said:
Well, after long says and nights and every weekend being totally occupied with the capture of the runaway bull, we finally caught him last Sunday night!!!!! I want to thank everyone one their advice and for those that may have a runaway, SHOOT IT!!!! Looking back though, I am satified that we did not. He is absolutely good looking for a yearling Highland bull. If, and I mean,IF we can somehow calm and handle him to where he is no longer a liability of escaping then we may change his name back to Ogre from the current name MEAT. He is currently living in a round horse coral and not really loving life. My wife is able to walk up to him and somewhat handle him now and I am really hoping that he will settle down when he gets in with other cattle. I do reccomend the purchase of a tranquilzer gun and consultation of GOOD Large Animal Vet. to get the proper drug cocktail and dosage.
Again, Thank all of you for your thoughts!!

I followed the story here and I am happy that you have your bull back again.
In my life I have done a fair bit of training all kinds of animals. My advice to you ist that you keep the bull for a long while in that round horse pen. Give him a lot of attention, possibly hand feed him every spare minute you have. He will feel lousy for a while but soon will look up to you and realize that all good things come from you. This in turn will make him to like you. But as it has been said before, make sure you can make a sharp exit if you have too. Animals can become very tame but they never can be trusted 100%.
Good Luck to you.

Swiss Cowboy :cboy:

If I lived close to you I would wrestle him for you. I have done it before and I usually get banged up some, but I am game. Good Luck.

Everyone will have a similar experience sooner or later if they are in the business long enough.Good neighbors are truly a blessing, a holes are truly vexatious to the spirit. My philosophy has always been to endeavor to be as good a neighbor as I would want living next to me. ;-) :cboy:

I enjoyed reading everyone's stories about escaping cattle. I am glad you got your bull back.:)
We have a first calf heifer that just calved out a beautiful baby boy for us that is not supposed to be at our place. We decided to ship her last fall, she decided she didn't want to leave. We put her in the corral with some friends and she jumped out. No running start, just hopped a few times or her back legs like a trained poodle and straight up over a 6' high corral. Needless to say she got to stay. :shock:
This spring tried to put her in the corral with the other first calf heifers and with only a week until due day she popped out again. On the field she is the nicest cow. She loves to be patted and I gave her a new ear tag while she was eating her hay one day. Get her into the corral and she gets claustrophobic I guess. ;-)