Yearling Balancer Bulls pics.

Help Support CattleToday:

3 and 4 are the bested balanced, with 3 having a slightly better rump.
5 is a little lighter on the hind end, but has good bone.
1 is about the same on the hind end as 5, but is a little too straight on his rear legs.
2 is too light on the hind end for such a heavy front, feet aren't as good, slightly twisted scrotum, and seems to be the poorest doing.
All five have potential if they can develop well over the next 4-6 months.

southernultrablack said:
Thanks for the input! I'm pretty proud of them, but I know they aren't perfect.

Yes they look good. How did you come about deciding to keep those as calves? What stood out about them?

Coosh71 said:
southernultrablack said:

Yes they look good. How did you come about deciding to keep those as calves? What stood out about them?
Birthweight is the first factor right out of the gate. As they were growing you could tell that some stood out among the group, better bone, deeper bodied,
But it's tough. They all have flaws and it's tough deciding who to keep.

southernultrablack said:
Coosh71 said:
southernultrablack said:

Birthweight is the first factor right out of the gate. As they were growing you could tell that some stood out among the group, better bone, deeper bodied,

I understand. Our BWs are very close on our bulls every year. If I had to choose it would be #4. He is more put together in the rump and front shoulders to me. He's a solid bull. I agree 3 looks good but 4 would be the pic if I had to pick today and cull the rest. How do you feed them from weaning to yearling?

I think your porch is in the perfect location to watch the cows while you grill out in the middle of the summer.

Coosh71 said:
southernultrablack said:
Coosh71 said:

I understand. Our BWs are very close on our bulls every year. If I had to choose it would be #4. He is more put together in the rump and front shoulders to me. He's a solid bull. I agree 3 looks good but 4 would be the pic if I had to pick today and cull the rest. How do you feed them from weaning to yearling?
They are fed about 2% of body weight per day of a 12-14% beef grower, split into two feedings and free choice grass hay.

YoungAngusCattle said:
I think your porch is in the perfect location to watch the cows while you grill out in the middle of the summer.
Lol! Thanks, but that's actually the neighbors house. Lucky they haven't run me off as muddy as it's been!

southernultrablack said:
YoungAngusCattle said:
Lol! Thanks, but that's actually the neighbors house. Lucky they haven't run me off as muddy as it's been!

Haha well hopefully they are aware enough to let you know if there's a problem in your pasture.

I personally would use 4 over 3 but they are the two best calves. I like 3's hip a little better, and he has a better topline, but 4 has way more capacity and a much better sheath, and I like his shoulder better. I also think he has a lot more growth in him.

3waycross said:
I personally would use 4 over 3 but they are the two best calves. I like 3's hip a little better, and he has a better topline, but 4 has way more capacity and a much better sheath, and I like his shoulder better. I also think he has a lot more growth in him.
Thank you for the input! Here's a better shot of #4. Does this pic change your opinion any?

southernultrablack said:
3waycross said:
Thank you for the input! Here's a better shot of #4. Does this pic change your opinion any?

Not really, and actually I like the other picture better

Latest posts