Year round feeding ration

Help Support CattleToday:

PINZ Farmer

Reaction score
i no u can feed many different rations to beef cows but i want to know what you guys thinks works the best. like if i were to breed in june to roughly calve in March, tell me what u would feed them at certain times of the year. another question i have is how soon can u turn out replacement heifers with teh cows. like if i calf in march and wean in the fall, how soon can the heifers i am keeping, go out with the cows again. do i need to wait until they are ready to breed or can i put them out right after weanin. thanx for any help.

joe

Grass pasture minerals and water is the best feed for beef cattle. The may need a protein supplement during some times of the year depending on the quality of the pasture. As long as the grain is kept moderate in the supplemnt it won't interfere with the ability of the cows to utilize the grass.
No matter when you wean, generally a month to 6 weeks is all that is required between weaning and returning th heifers to the cow herd. Many people feed their replacement heifers a different ration (supplement) during the winter to maximize their growth.

dun

PINZ Farmer":1p018crn said:
i no u can feed many different rations to beef cows but i want to know what you guys thinks works the best. like if i were to breed in june to roughly calve in March, tell me what u would feed them at certain times of the year. another question i have is how soon can u turn out replacement heifers with teh cows. like if i calf in march and wean in the fall, how soon can the heifers i am keeping, go out with the cows again. do i need to wait until they are ready to breed or can i put them out right after weanin. thanx for any help.

joe

Latest posts