Year old heifers?

Help Support CattleToday:

Don McCallum

Reaction score
I have several year old heifers. I am trying to decide to sell them or keep for cows. I bought 3 bred 7 year old cows in March for 2100$ total.
1 has a very nice bwfc, another might have a calf by now, and the best one is now 7 mo. bred. These heifers will probably average 1000$ each.
Should I upgrade my herd or sell these heifers? Bred cows (low end) have gone up about 300$ since March.

I'm a little confused as to what you're asking.. Sell the 7 year old cows and buy more heifers?

If the heifers are good, I would probably keep them, as well as the cows if they look like they're good performers.

How would you plan to go about 'upgrading' your herd?

Sounds like he is considering selling the year old heifers and buying more-and/or better breds.
I bought weaned heifers last year about this time to better my herd, and it worked out but only because prices have continued to rise.

It all depends Don, on how much you have in your heifers, what you can get for them compared to what you have in them or what breds will cost you, iow--whether it pencils out.
Is your goal is to acquire better genetics instead of just more quantity?
Have calves sooner (from bought breds) instead of waiting for your heifers to get bred and calve?

I just sold a yearling heifer that I was debating on keeping. I made more money than I can buy a bred cow for. I couldnt justify keeping her.

These heifers are out of good cows that were bred when I bought them. They are not related to my bulls, that is the reason I have been trying
to make the decision. I was thinking of culling some cows later that don't suite me. I was out of the cattle business several years and planted
pines. I bought some more land and most of my cattle 2 years ago before they got so high. I am retired and had cattle most of my life. I have
always loved dealing with cattle.