Yay or Nay?

Help Support CattleToday:

I've been told "never let a good notion go to waste"
Should be a nice terminal cross for sure.
If you don't like the result, you could always have the evidence be eaten and in another season no one would have to know... ;-)

I would do it. When we had BB semen, the cross breds were very nice. The steers were delicious and the heifers sold well.

Taurus":2yhx3ev2 said:
I was thinking about using our neighbors' BB bull on the beltie cross cows....yay or nay?

I have a question for you. What would you be gaining with that cross that making up for not having more mainstream genetics?

Jake":5a99fu90 said:
Taurus":5a99fu90 said:
I was thinking about using our neighbors' BB bull on the beltie cross cows....yay or nay?

I have a question for you. What would you be gaining with that cross that making up for not having more mainstream genetics?
What do you mean? I thought use a BB bull cover over beltie cross cows would resulted in heavy crossbred calves. Of course these belties has more than 75% angus in them.

Taurus":180g2vj1 said:
Jake":180g2vj1 said:
Taurus":180g2vj1 said:

What do you mean? I thought use a BB bull cover over beltie cross cows would resulted in heavy crossbred calves. Of course these belties has more than 75% angus in them.

I am just interested in the mind set that is behind using niche breeds and what is the added or diminished value in the cross to the producer and the consumer.

ga.prime":2i78rb14 said:
It's all about the economically attractive buy in costs.

Thats always been my personal issue behind even say breeding up longhorns into more efficient cattle. Depending on what your end goal is, I would think it would be easier and just as cheap to buy low quality "normal" cattle and turn them into something with added value.

Jake":1qf0a61s said:
ga.prime":1qf0a61s said:

Thats always been my personal issue behind even say breeding up longhorns into more efficient cattle. Depending on what your end goal is, I would think it would be easier and just as cheap to buy low quality "normal" cattle and turn them into something with added value.
when it comes to being efficient,, wont find many that can live on nothing, like the longhorn.....the only way id breed longhorns would be to select within the breed, for beefy types.... and try to keep all the other quailties like rustling, mothering and keeping those perfect udders, that seem to be prevalent in the breed

ALACOWMAN":370evfvj said:
Jake":370evfvj said:
ga.prime":370evfvj said:

when it comes to being efficient,, wont find many that can live on nothing, like the longhorn.....the only way id breed longhorns would be to select within the breed, for beefy types.... and try to keep all the other quailties like rustling, mothering and keeping those perfect udders, that seem to be prevalent in the breed

I'm not knocking longhorns, and not trying to start another breed war. They were just the first example to come to mind that seems to get discussed on here the most.

ALACOWMAN":10anreuf said:
i know you werent knocking them...anyway, im known as a longhorn hater on here..... :cowboy:

Hey I will be honest and say that I don't like them. Can understand the allure for some people. I just like my cattle to look like peas in a pod.

Jake":1b14b8ge said:
ALACOWMAN":1b14b8ge said:
i know you werent knocking them...anyway, im known as a longhorn hater on here..... :cowboy:

Hey I will be honest and say that I don't like them. Can understand the allure for some people. I just like my cattle to look like peas in a pod.
exactly, cookie cutter.... :nod:

ALACOWMAN":oo6pqmcb said:
Jake":oo6pqmcb said:
ALACOWMAN":oo6pqmcb said:

exactly, cookie cutter.... :nod:

That's right, most folks in the family can't tell our cattle apart if you cut the ear tags out. Just how I like it. And I think we are too inconsistent yet.