Yardage

Help Support CattleToday:

bward

Reaction score
Would anyone like to offer what they charge or pay for yardage on a per-head per-day basis? I would like to get a poll and see what the ranges are. Thanks in advance.

bward":37yua5ab said:
Would anyone like to offer what they charge or pay for yardage on a per-head per-day basis? I would like to get a poll and see what the ranges are. Thanks in advance.

Are you asking what we charge at large commercial feedyards? $40 per week for two large holstiens would not be competitive for a feedlot.

Yes on a commercial feedlot basis..... which is generally cents a day.....I have been trying to get the "boss" to increase it here because its been the same for 2 decades and does not reflect increased power costs, fuel etc.

bward":7nbhnzif said:
Yes on a commercial feedlot basis..... which is generally cents a day.....I have been trying to get the "boss" to increase it here because its been the same for 2 decades and does not reflect increased power costs, fuel etc.

I charge $0.32 per day at my feedlot. I have a backgrounding yard of 20,000. I only mark my feed up a small percentage to cover shrink and other loss, so yardage is my main source of revenue. Most feedlots generate their revenue by marking up the price of their feed. However, calves and stockers don't eat enough so yardage is a more effective method for income.

Anonymous said:
bward said:

Are you asking what we charge at large commercial feedyards? $40 per week for two large holstiens would not be competitive for a feedlot.
( Well I don't have anything near a commercial feedlot but that is not to much when you think about feed,medicine,water,& any other thing that may have to be purchased.

Roy E. Mosley Jr.":24aguzbj said:
Anonymous":24aguzbj said:
bward":24aguzbj said:

( Well I don't have anything near a commercial feedlot but that is not to much when you think about feed,medicine,water,& any other thing that may have to be purchased.

Dear Roy,
You are certainly correct. $40 per week for two large animals on a small ranch or farm is not too high. I was only trying to clarify what the gentleman exactly was looking for. My apologies. Scott

scott":3atx8vea said:
Roy E. Mosley Jr.":3atx8vea said:
Anonymous":3atx8vea said:
bward":3atx8vea said:

Dear Roy,
You are certainly correct. $40 per week for two large animals on a small ranch or farm is not too high. I was only trying to clarify what the gentleman exactly was looking for. My apologies. Scott

$40 a week is outrageously high.

BP. That is not outrageous. Think about it Two 900 pound steers how much do you think it takes to feed them a week? Anything below $40 bucks I would be paying out of my pocket to feed & care for there animals.

Roy E. Mosley Jr.":21eyscpx said:
Well I am currently keeping two holstien steers for a friend of mine and we agreed on $40 a week.

That breaks down to about $2.85 a day per head- I'd run all the cows you wanted to bring me for $2.85 a day. The guys that winter cattle around here usually charge $1.00- $1.25 a day to winter cows.
Neighbors ran a bunch of cows for an absentee cow owner for a couple of years and they charged $25 a month- year around.

Guess a lot of it depends on where you're at- what it costs you- and how much you can get people to pay.

Oldtimer":2gmryvjc said:
Roy E. Mosley Jr.":2gmryvjc said:
Well I am currently keeping two holstien steers for a friend of mine and we agreed on $40 a week.

That breaks down to about $2.85 a day per head- I'd run all the cows you wanted to bring me for $2.85 a day. The guys that winter cattle around here usually charge $1.00- $1.25 a day to winter cows.
Neighbors ran a bunch of cows for an absentee cow owner for a couple of years and they charged $25 a month- year around.

Guess a lot of it depends on where you're at- what it costs you- and how much you can get people to pay.

I don't know where Roy Is located or what his situation is; but if he is buying feed in the 50 lb paper sacks at retail prices from the local feed store and retail prices for vet products and maybe $40 to $50 bucks for a vet to come out for one animal, plus he is talking about water, maybe he is using city water which would probaly cost more than what farm or ranch water would cost. Hay also cost more when you buy a few small square bales at a time. Roy, give us more about your situation and you may not receive so much criticism about your charges.

Roy, they will all get over it. Problem is, most are not used to making money in the cattle business. At that price you should be, and it is throwing everybody off. LOL Truth is, most of us would like to be in your shoes, only with a neighbor with more cows!

gm

gm":2rhphw69 said:
Problem is, most are not used to making money in the cattle business.

gm

maybe you're not used to making money, but i have to tell ya that as much as i like cattle & the cattle business, i wouldn't do it if i wasn't making money.

txag":3kmcfkr7 said:
gm":3kmcfkr7 said:
Problem is, most are not used to making money in the cattle business.

gm

maybe you're not used to making money, but i have to tell ya that as much as i like cattle & the cattle business, i wouldn't do it if i wasn't making money.

Very hard to make a living, going broke; wouldn't it be?

BLACKPOWER":39ux2dsz said:
scott":39ux2dsz said:
Roy E. Mosley Jr.":39ux2dsz said:
Anonymous":39ux2dsz said:
bward":39ux2dsz said:

Dear Roy,

$40 a week is outrageously high.

Dear BP
What is wrong with Roy charging whatever he can get? We live in a market economy. You sound to me as though you are jealous of his ability to find somebody to pay the amount that he is charging for his husbandry skills. I certainly try to charge as much as the market will allow for my services. Live and let live! Scott

Oldtimer":3oxdx208 said:
Roy E. Mosley Jr.":3oxdx208 said:

I'll send every cow I own to him for $300 bucks a year.

BLACKPOWER":30emhbay said:
Oldtimer":30emhbay said:
Roy E. Mosley Jr.":30emhbay said:

I'll send every cow I own to him for $300 bucks a year.

Can't help you anymore Blackpower- I think they're getting the cattle bought to cover the grazing leases they'd aquired- Although up in this country with the work that goes into riding on them and keeping them alive- water and feed- $25 an AUM is considered high.

Latest posts