Yard sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Chevy

Reaction score
What do ya'll think about yard sales? What's the best selling items? You love them hate them? What is the best thing you ever bought from a yard sale? Or sold. Yard, garage, ect.

When I was young and needy I loved going to yard sales. Now that I'm old, I never go to one. Too much junk.

Apparently I don't like them, because I never go to them. Some people go nuts around here over the 400 mile yard sale. There's no way I could have a yard sale. When I'm done with something, it's ready for the garbage. I can't imagine putting my garbage on a trailer and putting a price on it.

Load it up, donate to Goodwill, local Humane Society, women's/homeless shelter - pick your fave local charity. Plus, it can be a tax write off.
I agree with the donations, but I have a problem with Goodwill. They are not a true charity, in my opinion, they "train" people for retail sales. My experience has been that the managers and workers go through the donations and take what they want first and then put the rest on the floor. All of the shelters and other charities are good options.

I agree with the donations, but I have a problem with Goodwill. They are not a true charity, in my opinion, they "train" people for retail sales. My experience has been that the managers and workers go through the donations and take what they want first and then put the rest on the floor. All of the shelters and other charities are good options.
I know of some that buy from the goodwills to resell in flea market, consignment booths etc. I agree it isn't necessarily my first choice, but that being said my wife took some things to the local one this afternoon.

I generally don't stop. But when I was in Washington they had a huge flea market in Packwood on Labor day weekend. It is about 70 miles up Hwy 12 from I-5. There would be 70-80 yard sales going up that road. I would go up the road stopping at all the ones on the right. Turn around before getting to that mess at Packwood. Stop at the ones on the other side of the road on the way home. Most sales took me about 2 minutes to walk around and leave. Two things remember getting, a big roll away Craftsman tool chest for $20 and 2 heavy tow chains 20 feet long for $10 each.

Gawd.
As a kid I remember going every. Darn. Weekend. With mom and grandma.

For all the time and fuel spent, could be just bought what ya wanted brand new!

Not saying there ain't deals to be had. But jesus. I much prefer the sale barn!!

I guess for some, it's the thrill of finding that treasure!

Edited to add...
One thing I always remember about yard/garage sales. There was always junky ol chevy parts laying around. Mostly broken.... lol

Another thought on yard sales that I have is that when you have one you are giving a lot of folks a chance to look around your property and there's a chance somebody might see something that's not for sale and come back later with the intention of helping themselves.

I think that Craigslist and Facebook have really cut down on the attraction of yard sales. But lots of folks really get fired up for the World's Longest Yard Sale in the middle part of our state. The only person I know that could make it all the way through the 690-mile sale is Kenny Thomas!

I've seen this happen first hand with Red cross and other charities. Where food and things are supposed to be going to be people in need of items , yet the people helps with take it. It's sad how people will do greedy things like that. Yet one the other hand I'm sure the ones in "need" may not always be the case either. When they have money for alcohol, cigarettes, lottery tickets, going out partying, ect. Just not items for their children at Christmas and school supplies.
Dang I'm realistic Rita this morning.

I do agree on having a yard sale invites people to look at what else you may have for later. Let me tell ya'll what's going on maybe you can help.
I don't really have anything for a yard sale not much or anything worth fooling with. One of our rentals houses we are remodeling the entire neighborhood is having a neighborhood yard sale. Being that the house is currently empty. I didn't know if I should set up, since so many people will be lurking, caught my drift. Have a few neighbors in that hood I'd like to add to the sale. 🤣😝🤡👻 Wonder what they would think if I tried selling their house. 😆🤡

Yall have a great Friday eve!! 😁

Good items for a yard sale are kids clothes, toys, baby beds, play pens, household appliances that you no longer use, tools, anything of any valve marked at a price that you are not to proud of and want gone. A couple years ago my daughter and about three other families got together, as I donated some, and had a yard sale. When the day was done not a lot left and each had several hundred dollars in their pocket.

It does seem yard sales, flea markets are not what they use to be with the online thingy. I have sold items on Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Craiglists and had people come from several hundred miles for the items. I like to meet the person at a spot away from my house if possible and have never been stood up yet.

Last edited:
That's true. I did see a pair of boots I donated subsequently listed on Facebook Marketplace. It may fall in the category of "smarmy", but it's not illegal.

There are a lot of kids groups (baseball teams, 4-H, etc) that have garage sales and I donate a lot to them to subsequently sell to raise funds.

That's true. I did see a pair of boots I donated subsequently listed on Facebook Marketplace. It may fall in the category of "smarmy", but it's not illegal.

There are a lot of kids groups (baseball teams, 4-H, etc) that have garage sales and I donate a lot to them to subsequently sell to raise funds.
At the outside drop-offs of a couple goodwills around here people were coming by and taking the items as soon as they dropped them off especially on weekends. It use to be handy to drop off, but now you about have to wait until they are open. I dropped off a couple bags recently and could not get in the door so I left it at the door. Maybe somebody made some money as my wife doesn't donate junk.

I think that Craigslist and Facebook have really cut down on the attraction of yard sales. But lots of folks really get fired up for the World's Longest Yard Sale in the middle part of our state. The only person I know that could make it all the way through the 690-mile sale is Kenny Thomas!
That is his 5th job on the way coming or going from other jobs.;)

Last edited:
Short.trip of a little over 800 miles yesterday.

I know of some that buy from the goodwills to resell in flea market, consignment booths etc. I agree it isn't necessarily my first choice, but that being said my wife took some things to the local one this afternoon.
Goodwill gives the best receipts for tax purposes. Who knew my old sneakers were valued at $10,000?

Short.trip of a little over 800 miles yesterday.
What a lot of people don't realize as crossing the mountains and ridges to just get to the trailer business is a killer and then 400 miles each way after. I may have to come up and get some of that spring water if I ever could catch you at home.

Latest posts