Yanmar tractors, anyone ever own one?

Help Support CattleToday:

I looked at this one tonight.

Trator17-2c.jpg

4 cylinder, 4 X 4, light weight with 75 horses. It's tough to find a decent tractor here these days. The gubmint wants everyone to buy a Veniran....yeah, that's a tractor built in Venezuela at an Iranian-run plant. :devil2:

But your fuel is dirt cheap.
I think yanmar makes an articulated tractor here but I'm not sure.
I can vouch 100% for the marine engines and doubt the ag applications would be much different.

hooknline":32g1fxqh said:
But your fuel is dirt cheap.
I think yanmar makes an articulated tractor here but I'm not sure.
I can vouch 100% for the marine engines and doubt the ag applications would be much different.

Sorry, but I don't call diesel fuel at $0.03/gallon "dirt cheap".

I call it free. :hide: :lol2:

yeah but you got that Hugo Chavez guy. But then again we got the obummer guy too.

I sure hope tractor parts are cheaper than the marine parts. Yanmar marine parts are 50-75% higher than comparable JD marine parts.
Yanmar marine engines seem to be good, and are great on fuel. $45.00 for a fuel filter is crazy, and $1,125.00 for a raw water pump is nuts.

Anything marine is crazy high. At parts that fit marine engines are sometimes 1/10th the cost

The guy who showed me the Yanmar tractor once owned a JD place but sold it a number of years ago. He still deals in a lot of JD parts and that's why I was visiting him. My JD tractor is in the hospital right now because the PTO has no power. Working 99% of the time with the PTO does have its downside. :nod:

Anyway, he flat loves this Yanmar tractor.

We sell smaller yanmar tractors. 38 hp is as big as I've seen around here. Seem like good tractors but all I've ever done is run a finishing mower with one.

I used to own a Yanmar YM226 Tractor. Good reliable machine. I don't think you'll be disappointed with Yanmar.

F350":2owx3i8r said:
I used to own a Yanmar YM226 Tractor. Good reliable machine. I don't think you'll be disappointed with Yanmar.

Thanks F350! BTW, what part of SW Louisiana do you call home? I used to shake 'em down in that neck of the woods. :D

We had the JD 950 which is entirely built by Yanmar (as is the 850), it just has the green badges on it. We put 5500 brutal hours on it and the only problem we had with it was that the keeper pin on the diff spider gears shore of and banged stuff up pretty good. Engine still started and ran like a top, didn't use a drop of oil in the 100 hour change interval. We have a Yanmar 5500W Diesel genset which starts on the first pull at -25C (smokes like heck, as any diesel does at that temp though). both are good on fuel, I like the luggability of the Yanmar tractor, it was only 28 drawbar HP but was just about as fast going up the hills with a bale wagon of hay as our Massey 165 (55 HP) and our IH 685 (70 HP). For a small tractor it was really good. The downfalls of it was the straight cut gears in the tranny, they took a lot of skill to not grind, and it was impossible to not grind coming *out* of second (2nd gear touches the reverse idler on the way out), and they don't have much traction. The other gripe we had about the JD 950 was that it had no power steering and poor traction for pulling field implements.

As I'm parked outside a gas station now, I will tell you the price of Diesel here... 1.43/L. (darned close to $5.50/gal)

This is a much more heavy duty tractor, and I think it would be a good machine

I think I might get myself a motorcycle again! Maybe I'll even have to go for a moped

We have an 1987 model JD 1450 that has a yanmar engine. Has always ran like a champ, only thing we've ever had to do to it was replace the water pump and that was done yesterday. JD dealor said pump would cost $460, found it on ebay for $240. Just have to know where to look.....

Latest posts