Yankee Tourist Information for West Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Some of this has been said before. Some of it is new. Anyhoo...some words of wisdom for the "Yankees" and other Urban dwellers visiting Texas...West of I-35:

1. Yes, our roads are wide and straight. They can also be used for landing strips for airplanes when needed. The Planes have the right-of-way.

2. If you don't like WIND, do a 180 and head back East.

3. Sand comes in different sizes. Closed Windows won't keep it all out.

4. Our roadside "ditches" are called BAR DICHES. They are frequently used by ranchers and farmers to drive down or park their equipment in...do not "Dial 911" if you see a Combine driving the wrong way down a bar ditch. We also use them to drive down to check our fences...get over it!

5. We have three sexes of people: Male, Female, and Undecided. No...if you're undecided or gay you can't get married here.

6. Farmers and Ranchers frequently have guns in their Pickups. Don't shoot at them...they will probably shoot back.

7. No...you can't force someone driving a Combine or a 30 foot wide Disk Cultivator pulled by a 200 HP 8 wheel tractor off the road...you'll lose.

8. Yes, those large Semi Tractor/Trailers with lots of holes in the trailer are "Cattle Trailers"...if you tailgate, your BMW or Cadillac Escalade will get dirty.

9. The Texas State Troopers ARE serious! Don't get smarta$$ with them...they have more hiding places than you have excuses...

10. The guy with a "cowboy hat" and boots wearing a "cowboy shirt" and Wranglers with red lights flashing is probably the County Sheriff...don't judge him/her by the uniform...It's "Yes Sir, No Sir"...

11. No...your Cell Phone won't work 100% of the time in West Texas...we have hills, and stuff. Watch the road (for Combines and Tractors) instead.

12. When you see a sign that says "Deer Crossing"...believe it, especially around sunrise or sundown. They will get blood on your BMW (or end up in your back seat)...slow down.

13. Just because you come to a small town that looks deserted, still observe the speed limit...the local Law Enforcement people need another source of income...they may be at the local Cafe having a cup and looking out the window.

14. In West Texas we have "Cafes". Many of them seat "non-smokers" in the back. The locals, ranchers, farmers, and those frequenting the "Big Table" 2-3 times a day have the right-of-way. "Smoke em if ya got em"...

15. Yes, you should tip the waitresses in the Cafes...even if she is the owner, or her granddaughter. No...we don't have "Matre'D's" or male waitstaff in the "Cafes". Seat yourself.

16. No...we don't have "Fern Bars" or "Sushi Bars"...probably don't have any Vegeterian Bars either...get over it.

17. Yes, the meal portions are large...we need real food so we can WORK...

18. Many of the West Texas counties are "Dry". Ice Tea is the usual drink. Coffee in the morning. If you want booze with your meal, go to a "Wet" country

19. The Mexican Food in West Texas is called "Tex-Mex". Lots of cheese and "real" chili. No...we don't have "spinach enchiladas".

20. The main highways in West Texas are I-10, I-20, US 27, and US 83. They go in 2 directions.

21. The native Texans and other established locals in West Texas WAVE when you pass them on the road. If you don't wave back or if they don't wave at you...you are obviously a tourist.

22. Yes...a one ton dooley pulling a 30 foot cattle trailer will often be going the speed limit plus. Make sure your BMW or other car has enough power to pass them before you run out of passing space (or) before you suddenly come upon a Combine or other slow-moving farm vehicle on a blind curve.

23. If you need gas...buy it! The next town might be 80 miles away or further with possibly cheaper gas.

24. Even very small towns often have two restaurants: One Cafe and One Dairy Queen. They won't serve sushi...

25. Yes...tractors have the right-of-way too and you may have to follow one at 15-20 MPH for a few miles until they turn off to their land or park at the local Cafe for a bite to eat.

26. Yes, the local Sheriff's and Deputies sidearms are real (even if they don't have a "City Uniform" on)...they also have real bullets.

27. No...you can't lose a local Sheriff by going cross country in your Jeep or Humvee...they have 4 WD pickups with lots of power too...

28. Yes, when people speak to you in West Texas they are being what you call "Friendly". No...they are not trying to make a pass at you or pry into your business.

29. Just because a West Texan looks dirty, sweaty, and is driving an old Pickup doesn't mean he/she is indigent. They have probably just been WORKING 10-12 hours, got dirty, and came in from their 2,500 acre farm.

30. Have a Nice Visit to West Texas!

Serious question. Do you have a pic of a 'bar ditch'. ?
In SE IN you are either in the roadway or you are stuck in the ditch. I'm having trouble imagining a ditch wide enough for farm machinery.

My son took a picture of 287. Long, straight and goes on like that into the horizon. He also tells me that in Amarillo, tumbleweeds have the right of way. He doesn't think that more are growing, just the same ones blowing from one side of the interstate to the other. He likes it there, though, and is thinking of settling there after he graduates. He especially likes Canyon. I have seen spots going there that look like the most isolated places on earth. Beautiful spledid isolation. :heart:

john250":3ks7wwqc said:
In SE IN you are either in the roadway or you are stuck in the ditch. I'm having trouble imagining a ditch wide enough for farm machinery.

Ok...

A "Bar Ditch" is often 50 feet or so wide and gradually sloped from pavement to someone's fence line...like a saucer. About the only interruptions in the long ditches would be drainage culverts, creeks, rivers, or other highway construction things. Often the lowest center point in the ditch would be only about one to two feet lower than the pavement. Medians between double highways about the same curvature and probably 20-30 feet wide.

Unless you run into a creek or other serious depression (or obstruction such as the highway cut out of a hill resulting in minimal "ditch" between the hill and the pavement, many of the bar ditches a "country driver" could drive 40-50 mph down one without any problem. Of course, when there is an entrance to someone's farm or place, there would be a raised entry with a steel culvert running lengthwise to the ditch with packed gravel & sand on top to make a level entry into that place...don't want to hit the end of one of these at 50 mph...lol.

Another Texas thing is that there is usually an 8' wide paved shoulder between the outside lane of the highway and the beginning of the bar ditches. Of course, there are exceptions to all this.

Even some of the "county" paved (or graded dirt) roads have enough ditch to drive in.

Running Arrow Bill":3mrjyrv6 said:
john250":3mrjyrv6 said:

Ok...

A "Bar Ditch" is often 50 feet or so wide and gradually sloped from pavement to someone's fence line...like a saucer. About the only interruptions in the long ditches would be drainage culverts, creeks, rivers, or other highway construction things. Often the lowest center point in the ditch would be only about one to two feet lower than the pavement. Medians between double highways about the same curvature and probably 20-30 feet wide.

Unless you run into a creek or other serious depression (or obstruction such as the highway cut out of a hill resulting in minimal "ditch" between the hill and the pavement, many of the bar ditches a "country driver" could drive 40-50 mph down one without any problem. Of course, when there is an entrance to someone's farm or place, there would be a raised entry with a steel culvert running lengthwise to the ditch with packed gravel & sand on top to make a level entry into that place...don't want to hit the end of one of these at 50 mph...lol.

Another Texas thing is that there is usually an 8' wide paved shoulder between the outside lane of the highway and the beginning of the bar ditches. Of course, there are exceptions to all this.

Even some of the "county" paved (or graded dirt) roads have enough ditch to drive in.

Wow!
Right of Way for a county road here is assumed to be 32 ft. Good roads have 18 ' of pavement (but don't bet on more than 12 'plus ditches) and farm machinery trashes more than a few mailboxes. You west Texans are livin' high on the hog.

I thought a bar ditch was/is natures version of a dumpster. I fill the bed of a pick up truck cleaning out mine. And I don't think these slobs are Yankees.

smokinggun_sm_clr.gif
no 6.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

quote: 20. The main highways in West Texas are I-10, I-20, US 27, and US 83. They go in 2 directions.

For those of you that don't know where I-10, I-20, US 27 and US 83 are in West Texas, thought you would be interested in these pictures I took over West Texas a couple of years ago.

The first picture shows where all of those hi-ways intersect. If you look REAL close, you can see the bar ditches.

The second picture was taken just East of the edge of the world. Be careful and watch your step! Toldja the edge of the world was real.

WESTTX1.jpg

WESTTX2.jpg

Latest posts