Yall wanted some close ups of my cattle well now you got em.

Help Support CattleToday:

TCM, If your happy, isn't that all that matters? Everyone is proud of his/her heard. Lord knows I got some cattle that I need to keep in the back pasture, but as long as their working for you, go for it!

Hey TCM, go to the post I started and tell me what you think about big red's newborn calf.

TennCattleMan57":3rq3zzrq said:
They are eating almost a bag of minerals a day. I cant keep it out fast enough. I just ordered 20 bags last week and in the last 2 days they have gone through 2 bags.
Sounds to me they are Mineral deficient. Poor management on someones part. they need minerals free choice throughout the year. Not just when it startchilling off.

la4angus":37en62sn said:
TennCattleMan57":37en62sn said:
They are eating almost a bag of minerals a day. I cant keep it out fast enough. I just ordered 20 bags last week and in the last 2 days they have gone through 2 bags.
Sounds to me they are Mineral deficient. Poor management on someones part. they need minerals free choice throughout the year. Not just when it start chilling off.

la4angus":27blk1vp said:
TennCattleMan57":27blk1vp said:
Sounds to me they are Mineral deficient. Poor management on someones part. they need minerals free choice throughout the year. Not just when it startchilling off.

Poor mineral quality. Some mineral is equal to saw dust.

Scotty

Scotty":1i5nigrp said:
la4angus":1i5nigrp said:
TennCattleMan57":1i5nigrp said:

Poor mineral quality. Some mineral is equal to saw dust.

Scotty
Yep, But he might be buying it for 65.00 a Ton, like he pays for his feed. :idea:

I think Scotty is right. You have green grass and good hay so the cows shouldn't be wolfing down minerals. It may be time to change brands. I was going to recommend Moormans but when I looked for the like I found that they had gotten swallowed up by ADM a couple of years ago and I am loathe to give ADM or Cargill any more money.
http://www.moormans.com/

If you're feeding that much minerals, I'd move my mineral feeders away from the watering hole. Placing mineral/feed and water close together makes it too easy on the cows and they don't forage as much because they don't have to. Everything has been brought to them and they don't have to go out looking for it.

TennCattleMan57":17ke0gio said:
Yeah jt that is what im thinking to. I use mcness. They are supposed to be the best minerals on the market. Moormans used to be but since adm got em I wont touch em.
If they eating that much minerals for very long maybe you better find another mineral source.

Noticed a lot of sage grass in back ground - Indicator of poor soil ph - when did you lime last? Had any soil test pulled lately? Could be why they are eatting so much mineral.

What did you pour on ground to get the cows to come to that one spot, I did not see any feed- but they sure were bunched up for picture.

In one of the Brangus pics (scurred cow) I noticed some interesting fence bracing in the background. Just curious as to how you came up with that design.

Larry Sansom":7p3awfm0 said:
What did you pour on ground to get the cows to come to that one spot, I did not see any feed- but they sure were bunched up for picture.
Looks to me like he poured some range cubes out so they would come eat and let him take their pics.

Your cows might be salt hungry. Try taking the minerals away for a few days and give them red, mineral salt blocks to make sure they have all the salt they need. Then, move the mineral feeders away from the water and keep out minerals and salt. They may be eating up all the minerals to get the salt

What kind of user name is BigPimpin_1978? Would that be your birth year? If so, how old is your son? Also, who are the gentlemen in the background of the pics?

TennMan, have you tried RightNow Minerals? We've got our herd on them and have noticed a huge difference in them. We recently purchased 10 angus/brangus heifers. They are 500-750 pounds and have had them on Right Now for a month. The hair is glossy, they've added noticeable weight and we plan to breed them to our Brangus bull in February. These ladies will be fine mothers.

RightNow Minerals gives you the exact mix of minerals your animals need for the grass season that they are currently eating. These minerals even cause your mothers to come in earlier after calving because of the heavy calcium dosage they get.

Our feed supplier has an average mixed herd of cows that gave him 400-450 pound weaning weight calves last year. He put them on RightNow and this year he got 600-650 pound calves weaned.

We had heard from others this would greatly increase your weaning weight, so we decided to try it.

AlabamaQualityBeef":3jzi5cnp said:
Our feed supplier has an average mixed herd of cows that gave him 400-450 pound weaning weight calves last year. He put them on RightNow and this year he got 600-650 pound calves weaned.
You're giving the impression to people that might not know any better that these wonder minerals are worth 200 extra pounds at weaning. Your 'feed supplier' is full of crap if he's trying to tell you that minerals alone did that. A mineral won't increase weaning weights by 50%. Not Cargill's, not anybody's.

Welcome to the Boards, though.

Texan":ckmogxya said:
AlabamaQualityBeef":ckmogxya said:
You're giving the impression to people that might not know any better that these wonder minerals are worth 200 extra pounds at weaning. Your 'feed supplier' is full of crap if he's trying to tell you that minerals alone did that. A mineral won't increase weaning weights by 50%. Not Cargill's, not anybody's.

Welcome to the Boards, though.
Minerals are a big part of the feed and nutrition business, but I can tell you first hand, any feed dealer pushing a product with claims like that needs to have his head examined.It's not even a remote possibility. I feel sorry for anyone that would even believe him.

Latest posts