Yak Cattle Crossbreeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Mamayak

Reaction score
How does 1200 lb cattle/yak steers within 12 to 18 months sound?

Lighter tasting than beef with good cholesterol.

More economical to feed than cattle, easy calving, use conventional cattle fencing, hearty animals!

Your profit -- meat priced per pound $3 to $25.

Raising safe friendly yak breeding stock - even bulls.

Kathy Taylor
Strasburg CO
[email protected]

~~

Got photos of the cattle/yak steers ?

Afriend of mine raises yaks and has shared with me her yak burger, yak steaks and yak jerky. Jerky was the BEST I have ever had. She certainly doesn't get those meat prices--its the same as regular beef prices--just a little less expensive to raise since they eat less and you can stock more per acre than regular cattle.

I actually investigated doing some yak crosses, but decided against it due to the very late maturing of the heifers and a few other things that I can't seem to recall at this moment.

They certainly don't want or need shelter from the snow or wind. They never went in the barn no matter how horrid the weather was. They forage well and some chase coyotes.

How long have you been raising the Yaks, what colors do you have and how many do you have ?
Ever have twins ?
Do you A I ?

Please show us your photos.

Mamayak":lgcwgmbr said:
How does 1200 lbs of yak cow cross in 12 to 18 months sound?
Sounds great if it's black so it'll qualify for CAB. Other than that, it's beginning to sound repetetive and very much like advertising. Just one more reason for putting in a Barnyard Board.

Mamayak":icikfv1e said:
How does 1200 lb cattle/yak steers within 12 to 18 months sound?

Lighter tasting than beef with good cholesterol.

More economical to feed than cattle, easy calving, use conventional cattle fencing, hearty animals!

Your profit -- meat priced per pound $3 to $25.

Raising safe friendly yak breeding stock - even bulls.

Kathy Taylor
Strasburg CO
[email protected]

Sounds good, but with raising worms, emu farming i dont have any time :(

Texan":2dx2t3se said:
Mamayak":2dx2t3se said:
How does 1200 lbs of yak cow cross in 12 to 18 months sound?
Sounds great if it's black so it'll qualify for CAB. Other than that, it's beginning to sound repetetive and very much like advertising. Just one more reason for putting in a Barnyard Board.

Pretty good Texan! A black yak qualifying for CAB.

Wonder when they're gonna start introducing Black Genes to buffalo. I hear they are not selling too well as brown.

Wonder how yak milk would sell? ;-)

Ask all the buffalo ranchers from New Rockford N.D. about non traditional livestock it never caught on and most lost their ASSets.

DD RANCH":l700e8ge said:
Ask all the buffalo ranchers from New Rockford N.D. about non traditional livestock it never caught on and most lost their ASSets.

Or what about all the people that got into ostriches and emus? People who had $200,000++ worth of ratites one day were suddenly stuck with a house full of ostrich feathers, big eggs to give to all their friends, and a bunch of Big Birds with no value whatsoever. I actually saw ads where people actually were offering emus for free to anybody who would come get them. I actually like their meat (I certainly have eaten enough of it at farm expos and fairs); but if it ever sold at Wal-Mart I missed it.

Latest posts