Ya Like Smokies?

Help Support CattleToday:

blackcowz

Reaction score
Check out this bull. I been thinking on using him for a while, and finally got in contact with one of the owners. I think he's pretty sweet, and the guy I talked to said he should be usable on heifers. We'll see I guess. Hoping to get some deep mamas and showy bulls/steers outta this guy. EDIT to say that he's out of an Angus bull.

http://www.cattlevisions.com/Chi/Gunsmoke.php

Gunsmokecattlevisions-1.jpg

Jovid":255373s5 said:
Do you have a pic of him in his working clothes?

Man, you are very consistent in asking for that. :) As a matter of fact, I don't, and there probably won't be one up for a bit. He's getting ready to go to the Louisville Chi show.

blackcowz":2guy9gjc said:
Jovid":2guy9gjc said:

Man, you are very consistent in asking for that. :) As a matter of fact, I don't, and there probably won't be one up for a bit. He's getting ready to go to the Louisville Chi show.

What about a picture of his mother? What about his half sibs. Do they all look like him or did the heterosis gods shine down on him very well? How well do you know this guys owner. Does he really know what he says or is he the type to just tell you what you want to hear? I would never use something like him on my first calf heifers with the way he is bred. Not unless someone that I know very well calved about 500 heifers to him and it all went well. And then I still might be nervous.

Brian

smnherf":3h8woz88 said:
blackcowz":3h8woz88 said:
Jovid":3h8woz88 said:

What about a picture of his mother? What about his half sibs. Do they all look like him or did the heterosis gods shine down on him very well? How well do you know this guys owner. Does he really know what he says or is he the type to just tell you what you want to hear? I would never use something like him on my first calf heifers with the way he is bred. Not unless someone that I know very well calved about 500 heifers to him and it all went well. And then I still might be nervous.

Brian

He is a P R E T T Y bull Brian. No need for any more info. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

smnherf":2zgtu1wa said:
blackcowz":2zgtu1wa said:
Jovid":2zgtu1wa said:

Brian

http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/index.php?topic=12092.0
All the pictures of other relations that I know of. I do not know the owner personally, but information of others who have contact with him has been excellent. Judging by the cow power in the line, I'd expect him to breed pretty true to what he looks like. There is a half-brother (same cow) in a WCC catalog somewhere, and he was impressive. Don't take me wrong, he is not very proven yet in terms of calving ease. But I have some larger LimFlex heifers and mature cows that I wouldn't mind using him on. And yes, besides being pretty, he's pretty powerful. Personally, for me, he's a more club calf type bull. But, if we get some females from him, I'll put them through a test.

what qualities will this bull put into your herd that will improve your profitability?

Hopefully, a couple thousand dollar smokey calf. Or, I may simply breed him to a couple cows I'd like to sell to add some value to them. As I said, right now this is a club calf bull. Not exactly what I would qualify as making replacement females in our pasture. But, good show females and bull/steers.

Show cattle......a waste of good feed and water.....worthless mutts, the bulls look like steers and the heifers wouldnt breed unless you pampered them ... and then sometime they still wont

Here I was expecting some good Char/Angus calves-we really don't have to steer jock business in Canada-not to the extent they do in U'S. One thing about them in Denver I finally found something that me with my short legs can stand flat footed and piss over lol. I guess if it makes you money and floats your boat have at it.

houstoncutter":2ddhm0lp said:
Show cattle......a waste of good feed and water.....worthless mutts, the bulls look like steers and the heifers wouldnt breed unless you pampered them ... and then sometime they still wont

ugh, I know I'm just taking the bait here, but you know what? I'm in a biting sort of mood.

Look like steers, do they?

Cattletoday03.jpg

Cattletoday05.jpg

Holy cow pies!! These show heifers, all have calves at foot!!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58848&p=681081&hilit=females#p681081

Maybe it's the picture but his front feet look like they need maintenance.

Wewild":3tca04lp said:

I think something happened to him. I can't remember what Keren said but his hooves were only like that because of an injury maybe...

aussie_cowgirl":1p1o7ggw said:
Wewild":1p1o7ggw said:

I think something happened to him. I can't remember what Keren said but his hooves were only like that because of an injury maybe...

No, it's because this picture was taken at a show where he was the champion bull. Thanks to photoshop, he's now in a grass field in the sun. No halter or nothin'. Plus, his hooves got set a little deep in the grass. Make sense now?

Latest posts