Y Tex Ear Tag ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I am using Y tex mediums and have had to replace my share. :(

Is there a better brand of tag, or a preferred location in the ear, to minimize tag losses?

Stocker Steve":2efbg7k8 said:
I am using Y tex mediums and have had to replace my share. :(

Is there a better brand of tag, or a preferred location in the ear, to minimize tag losses?

You didn't say how they were losing them, but here are a couple suggestions.

We use Y-tex in all of our cattle, rarely replace one. When putting them in, try and get them past the half way point in the ear. Less chance of having them tear out. Also, if you are feeding them, make sure and remove all the twine from the bales. Doesn't matter what kind of tag you put in, twine is worse than a knife for cutting buttons.

Here's a link for tag placement.
http://www.allflexusa.com/eid/images/Ea ... cement.pdf

TexasBred":c4vfjkqy said:
greatgerts":c4vfjkqy said:
The Z tags are the best I have found

http://www.ztags.com/

Agreed. Don't think I've ever had a cow lose a Z=Tag...( Yet) :!:
Our Z tags last about one more year then the allflex, 7-8 instead of 6-7. Beig cheap the good part is that if I find it I just stick it back on or use it for another anaiml later on

dun":2t932yty said:
TexasBred":2t932yty said:
greatgerts":2t932yty said:
The Z tags are the best I have found

http://www.ztags.com/

Agreed. Don't think I've ever had a cow lose a Z=Tag...( Yet) :!:
Our Z tags last about one more year then the allflex, 7-8 instead of 6-7. Beig cheap the good part is that if I find it I just stick it back on or use it for another anaiml later on

lol, dun some of those old trader cows you're taggin' have been tagged so many times you couldn't keep anything in that big ol' hole for long. :lol2:

randiliana said:
We use Y-tex in all of our cattle, rarely replace one. When putting them in, try and get them past the half way point in the ear. Less chance of having them tear out. Also, if you are feeding them, make sure and remove all the twine from the bales. Doesn't matter what kind of tag you put in, twine is worse than a knife for cutting buttons.

/quote]

What do you gain by putting them past the half way point (toward the ear tip)?

Stocker Steve":17vox1zl said:
randiliana":17vox1zl said:

/quote]

What do you gain by putting them past the half way point (toward the ear tip)?

Whoops, I think, that we have a misunderstanding. I meant past the half way point, closer to the head. The closer to the ear tip, the more chance of them losing the tag.

I agree with the tag placement close to the head. In my herd most of the tags getting lost seem to be in the same cows year after year. seems they don't like the adornments a hanging out there. Maybe they just don't like my color scheme. :D

If you find yourself losing ear tags, take a look at how you're applying them. As others have mentioned, placement is one of the biggest factors.
Below is a card we hand out that shows the optimal placement of ear tags.
NewZTagRetentionTips_PO_03-2285copy.jpg

Keep in mind the following tips when you're applying ear tags:
ALWAYS use a new hole - If the hole was large enough to lose the first tag, the next tag will fall out just as easily
Avoid penetrating cartilage and blood vessels
Always use clean equipment to avoid disease transfer
Always use NEW tags
Avoid using heavy tags
Remove twine from hay bales to minimize
snagging
When tagging young calves, its important that you pull the ear taught to make sure you don't tear their ear.

Only tag I ever lost was one calf that had his head through the fench and then tried to run without backing up first. So now he has the same number but in the other ear and one split ear. I love the Y Tex Tags. :D

Latest posts