x

Help Support CattleToday:

We deworm spring fall with pour on, most years something for fly control. All calves are vacinated at weaing with 4 way, 7 way and PH and boostered 2 to 4 weeks later. Cows and heifers are vacinated annually with 4 way with lepto. all heifers are tb vacinated by 12 months. I guess your program needs to be adapted to your climate and challenges of your area. The program that works for me in maine may not work in your area do to local challenges.

pat

Vaccination schedule:
Spring and Fall:
Deworm (Injecible or pour on)
- 7-way blackleg shot
- Triangle-9 for IBR, BVD, PI3, BRSV, and 5 serotypes of Lepto
- If registered herd, get OCV (Brucellosis vaccination) for hiefer calves before 12 mths of age (adminstered by vet)
- If 1st shot for calf for blackleg or Triangle-9 give booster in 14-28 days

Any new cattle that you are not sure of vaccination records, pen up and follow procedures as if it were 1st time shots for calf, vaccinate and then booster.

Just curious, but how many people running a commercial herd get OCV (Official Childhood Vaccination - Brucellosis) for heifer calves?

You don't have to do all the above twice yearly. As a whole, the cows and bulls only get boostered once a year. Worming twice a year. Vaccinate calves when necessary.

Here's our program;

Cows get scourgard 3 (k)c 2-4 weeks prior to calving.

Cows,calves and bulls get Dectomax injectable in spring before pasture, calves also get 7-way.

Cows and Bulls get pour on Dectomax in fall.

This has worked very well for us up here in the north country. You absolutely have to adjust for your area, especially your worming and fly control.

i do my commercial heifers, question about lepto shot running arrow not 60 days before breeding? or stay bred combination.

We vaccinate all heifers, both the registered and the F-1 for brucellosis before 12 months.
TXBobcat":1evz06y7 said:
Vaccination schedule:
Spring and Fall:
Deworm (Injecible or pour on)
- 7-way blackleg shot
- Triangle-9 for IBR, BVD, PI3, BRSV, and 5 serotypes of Lepto
- If registered herd, get OCV (Brucellosis vaccination) for hiefer calves before 12 mths of age (adminstered by vet)
- If 1st shot for calf for blackleg or Triangle-9 give booster in 14-28 days

Any new cattle that you are not sure of vaccination records, pen up and follow procedures as if it were 1st time shots for calf, vaccinate and then booster.

Just curious, but how many people running a commercial herd get OCV (Official Childhood Vaccination - Brucellosis) for heifer calves?

D.R. Cattle":2coevh20 said:
You don't have to do all the above twice yearly. As a whole, the cows and bulls only get boostered once a year. Worming twice a year. Vaccinate calves when necessary.

You are correct. I was thinking about deworming when I wrote spring and fall. I would vaccinate all cows, bulls and calves that needed it in the fall. In the spring I would deworm and vaccinate only calves that were ready for their first time shots.