Wye breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I had a gal sit by me in the sale barn today who was looking for a "new pet cow". She had a 3 y/0 Angus that came open and was selling her. Well, after meeting the gal and her cow, I ended up with it. She will be sending me the papers on it, but said it was from Wye and Shoeshone . She said it comes from old breeding and I would like to keep her that way. After having her vet checked Friday, I will be looking to breed her. Any suggestions? I would like to add some frame and depth to her. There is a guy in SD (I'm in MN) that she said has Wye's or Shoehone bloodlines. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks, Danny

Danny B":1kk7db1z said:
I had a gal sit by me in the sale barn today who was looking for a "new pet cow". She had a 3 y/0 Angus that came open and was selling her. Well, after meeting the gal and her cow, I ended up with it. She will be sending me the papers on it, but said it was from Wye and Shoeshone . She said it comes from old breeding and I would like to keep her that way. After having her vet checked Friday, I will be looking to breed her. Any suggestions? I would like to add some frame and depth to her. There is a guy in SD (I'm in MN) that she said has Wye's or Shoehone bloodlines. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks, Danny
I have a bull by the old Fabron of Wye (born in 1957) more info on my web site http://www.larrysansom.com. Also you should see evergreenangus.com in Walnut Grove MN and genetic-resources.com in Lanesboro MN I can give you phone numbers on a PM if you wish. Larry Leonhardt in Crowley Wy is the owner of the Shoshone Ranch also can give you a phone number to this tremendous cattleman by pm if you wish. E -mail me the registration numbers on your cow and I will be glad to advise you on best breeding- these old wye cattle are a hot item in the grass based - low input programs across the nation.

Hi Danny. I too have a heifer that is from Wye and Shoshone. She is from Cotton Angus, which is near Volga, SD I believe. Mine was bred when I got her to PFred, but I was entertaining EXT from ABS for next year if there is any semen available. I read somewhere this was his last year. I think EXT is from an Emulation 31, which is used with some of the Wye bulls I have seen. The evergreen angus web site has fair info and bulls to look at as well as semen for sale, Larry in the above post has ALOT of info on the Wye breeding, you will learn alot of the history right there. Good luck!

The Wye herd still exists and is maintained by the University of Maryland. I have many Wye cows and have outcrossed them as well as line bred them.

They are located in Queenstown Maryland and can tell you anything you want about any of the Wye bloodlines and I am sure would not mind at all if you called. If you want their phone number just ask here on this thread and I will get it for you.

I collect Bear of Wye daughters, but some of the Alexina of Wye cows even without Bear in them are great. Easy keeping cows that last forever. I have outcrossed them to EXT with great success as well as to Traveler 6807, Scotch Cap and Sleep Easy.

Shoshone! I would buy any day of the week sight unseen. Shearbrook Shoshone for one. One of my favorite all time cows is a granddaughter. Two of my original herd cows (with many great grand daughters, and great great granddaughters in the herd) were sired by Shoshone Intent.

Dee":3i3axsx8 said:
Hi Danny. I too have a heifer that is from Wye and Shoshone. She is from Cotton Angus, which is near Volga, SD I believe. Mine was bred when I got her to PFred, but I was entertaining EXT from ABS for next year if there is any semen available. I read somewhere this was his last year. I think EXT is from an Emulation 31, which is used with some of the Wye bulls I have seen. The evergreen angus web site has fair info and bulls to look at as well as semen for sale, Larry in the above post has ALOT of info on the Wye breeding, you will learn alot of the history right there. Good luck!
Forgot to list that herd on the original post. I am going to be using some of Big Don of Volga and possible a little of the Manning of Volga bulls. Hope to linebreed that Fabron line with those bulls, plus the Andelot of wye that I convinced the Wye farm to sell me some of last year. How are your Cotton cattle doing? What breeding is she from?

Latest posts