WW3 Could we win?

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
The "Could you survive" thread got me thinking . If there was another "conventional "war { non nuclear ] , do you think that America could win? I mean , nothing derogatory to our men and women in the services, but do the people have the fortitude now? Most of our manufacturing is gone, could we retool to make planes and parts ? Would the public make the sacrifices, rationing gas sugar , coffee etc.? Do we have the welders , machinists , or even the people willing to do enogh manual labor to build ships? I personally think , even if we could get past the logistical hurdles , that the newer generation, mostly under 40, would probably just lay down .

Yes, but if it lasts longer than three years it would be a challenge. Due to a lack of manufacturing sector and the issues that poses.

Also, it would matter what countries were with us and against us...we would have a hard time defeating the Chinese--due to sheer population and their manufacturing/industrial infrastructure.

snoopdog":30zqfpft said:
The "Could you survive" thread got me thinking . If there was another "conventional "war { non nuclear ] , do you think that America could win? I mean , nothing derogatory to our men and women in the services, but do the people have the fortitude now? Most of our manufacturing is gone, could we retool to make planes and parts ? Would the public make the sacrifices, rationing gas sugar , coffee etc.? Do we have the welders , machinists , or even the people willing to do enogh manual labor to build ships? I personally think , even if we could get past the logistical hurdles , that the newer generation, mostly under 40, would probably just lay down .
As long as we can keep them off our soil we would definitely win. It won't be hand to hand but missile to missile. Non nuclear of course.

If those in charge weren't worried about fighting a "politically correct" war,then yes. We could win and win quickly.

M.Magis":1fr6rvku said:
If those in charge weren't worried about fighting a "politically correct" war,then yes. We could win and win quickly.

That sounds like George Bush Jr's assertion on the aircraft carrier, "mission accomplished".

I think a WW would drag on a long time.

Bright Raven":19fuf3lz said:
M.Magis":19fuf3lz said:

That sounds like George Bush Jr's assertion on the aircraft carrier, "mission accomplished".

Or until one side had nothing left to shoot back at you. :lol:

TexasBred":2alclt05 said:
Bright Raven":2alclt05 said:
M.Magis":2alclt05 said:

Or until one side had nothing left to shoot back at you. :lol:
Then what would they do? Shoot spit wads?
:lol:

snoopdog":2xxd5vz2 said:

Yes, we have the capacity to go on a war footing. Could probably do it faster now than in the 1940s. Robotics and computers make up a lot of the difference.

In ww2, the civilian food staple 'sacrifices' weren't exactly a voluntary thing...they didn't have a choice. There was beeching about it then and would be beeching about it again, but we/they'll do it, assuming the war has broad support to begin with..

As far as the manpower in uniform, IMO honest opinion, today's troops are among the finest we have ever put in the field.

I think if someone attacked us like Pearl and there was a difined enemy like Germany and Japan I think the country would unify and get behind it. The problem with the war on terror is you are not fighting a country just a bunch of thugs. When one thug dies 10 replace him so there is no finish line. In WW2 there was a finish line Berlin in Europe and Japan in the Pacific. A war with China would be a long nasty fight. I really don't want to see a war with N Korea just a bullet in that punk kid with the messed up haircut.

greybeard":1v0p45od said:
snoopdog":1v0p45od said:

Yes, we have the capacity to go on a war footing. Could probably do it faster now than in the 1940s. Robotics and computers make up a lot of the difference.

In ww2, the civilian food staple 'sacrifices' weren't exactly a voluntary thing...they didn't have a choice. There was beeching about it then and would be beeching about it again, but we/they'll do it, assuming the war has broad support to begin with..

As far as the manpower in uniform, IMO honest opinion, today's troops are among the finest we have ever put in the field.

Why do you think that?

I can't see us winning, China will kick our buts, and Russia might also. We have no money and our population is soft and getting softer. The only thing we have going for us is our nuclear weapons.

True Grit Farms":1iqwz404 said:
I can't see us winning, China will kick our buts, and Russia might also. We have no money and our population is soft and getting softer. The only thing we have going for us is our nuclear weapons.

Russia is teetering on bankruptcy. They can't afford a war.

Heck fire, neither can we come to think of it, lol.

Bright Raven":2klzrj8e said:
M.Magis":2klzrj8e said:

There is no such person as George Bush Jr.

For the record, the mission that particular ship had been deployed on was accomplished.

TennesseeTuxedo":1lt6ofkg said:
True Grit Farms":1lt6ofkg said:

Russia is teetering on bankruptcy. They can't afford a war.

Heck fire, neither can we come to think of it, lol.

That's why I said might with Russia, seems like the Russian's could kill someone for spitting on the sidewalk. We can't kill a killer or a rapist.

shaz":18sl8zkl said:
greybeard":18sl8zkl said:
snoopdog":18sl8zkl said:

Why do you think that?
Better armed, more multi service assets available to each unit, better educated, better communications, more mobile, better physical shape, better trained and they all want to be there. All volunteer force.

As far as debt, at the end of WW2, the USA was deeply in debt too. $2.8 trillion in today's dollars.

Latest posts