WTK Continental. Pics or info?

Help Support CattleToday:

No I meant the site I posted, since they are in Canada they published their assoc's EPDs on their page.

Also for what its worth here are some more pictures, one of him and one of his dam.

CPL":1zws5wiy said:
Also for what its worth here are some more pictures, one of him and one of his dam.
Not too bad! Looks like a fine bull. He was recommended as a stout maternal bull. Do ya'll agree on that or not? Thanks for the help.

blackcowz":2xul9l78 said:
CPL":2xul9l78 said:
Not too bad! Looks like a fine bull. He was recommended as a stout maternal bull. Do ya'll agree on that or not? Thanks for the help.

Based strictly on EPDs, that isn;t a maternal bull. Skykigh BW, low milk, below average daughters calving ease, way too high a yearling weight. If his calves would come fairly easy he would be a terminal bull and that's it

dun":femc6w1i said:
blackcowz":femc6w1i said:
CPL":femc6w1i said:

Based strictly on EPDs, that isn;t a maternal bull. Skykigh BW, low milk, below average daughters calving ease, way too high a yearling weight. If his calves would come fairly easy he would be a terminal bull and that's it
Dun, thanks for keeping it short and sweet. But I actually believe I have found a good little Herf bull that'll fit my criteria. I'll try and get a pic and EPD's posted soon.

I never used Continental, but I did use Outwest 119A - Carlotta's sire. One thing I will say about him is, he was lower the frame score on your cows in one shot. I have one 119A heifer that is about a frame 4 - 1000 lbs off of a frame 6 1500lb cow. No reason for it on the dam's side, all bigger cows. Really improves udders and teats...actually almost to perfection. Improved fertility and will bring home a calf half her size. I'd say 119A was a maternal bull. Not sure of Continental...although it would be similar genetics coming through on his daughters. :cowboy:

dun":3obx0cy6 said:
blackcowz":3obx0cy6 said:
CPL":3obx0cy6 said:

Looking at his numbers, I think he is a real cow maker. You think that is bad BW, you should look back at Louada Trendsetter and Bar B Yankee...they were cow killers. I have no problem with 6.1 on cows. The maximum BW EPD for Herf's is 14....Trendsetter was 13 something last time I looked. Yankee was over 10.

Aaron":k3v2bxhf said:
Looking at his numbers, I think he is a real cow maker. You think that is bad BW, you should look back at Louada Trendsetter and Bar B Yankee...they were cow killers. I have no problem with 6.1 on cows. The maximum BW EPD for Herf's is 14....Trendsetter was 13 something last time I looked. Yankee was over 10.

You must look at different things in a cow then I do.
CE bottom 50%, BW top 10%, WW top 5%, YW top 5%, Milk lower 20%, FEM bottom 30%
Those are just to opposite of what I'm looking for in a cow

dun":nmecyph4 said:
Aaron":nmecyph4 said:

CE bottom 50%, BW top 10%, WW top 5%, YW top 5%, Milk lower 20%, FEM bottom 30%

Most definitely. I need CE top 50% and BW top 50%. Need heifers that can handle up to 110 lbs calf and calve it out without help, and 130 lbs for cows. Small calves around here are weak and don't have the energy to get up and suck because they wasted it all in shivering after being born on a cold April morning. :cowboy:

Aaron":2vzumlh1 said:
dun":2vzumlh1 said:
Aaron":2vzumlh1 said:

CE bottom 50%, BW top 10%, WW top 5%, YW top 5%, Milk lower 20%, CEM bottom 30%

Most definitely. I need CE top 50% and BW top 50%. Need heifers that can handle up to 110 lbs calf and calve it out without help, and 130 lbs for cows. Small calves around here are weak and don't have the energy to get up and suck because they wasted it all in shivering after being born on a cold April morning. :cowboy:
So how does this bull fit into that scenerio?

Aaron- you actually have a BW avg of over 100 in your heard? I would think you'd want calf vigor not extra weight.

dun":ab6cvk8f said:
Small calves around here are weak and don't have the energy to get up and suck because they wasted it all in shivering after being born on a cold April morning.

I have had exactly the opposite experience - anything we have had over 110# has been slow to get up and nurse, especially the bull calves (all born w/o assistance, no delays). We try to breed for 65-90# calves that get up and grow. And we calve in April. Last year our herd average BW was up about 15# using the same bloodlines as before, same body scores on the cows. But we had a cold winterin late gestation which I think had a lot to do with it.

A small calf should still have plenty of condition when it's born to handle that kind of cold. If they're born that weak I would be concerned.

And dun, I don't know why the computer gave you the credit for this quote! I'd hate to misrepresent your views.

Need heifers that can handle up to 110 lbs calf and calve it out without help, and 130 lbs for cows.

If I sell a bull that sires birthweights like that I sure as heII won't sell a bull in that area again and once the word spreads I'll have a hard time selling any bull anywhere.

This is a classic case of we are talking about different enviroments!!!
Heck this discussion has ranged from canada to s.africa to tx to Mo and now KY.....

So this is less about BW than about needs for an area.

I have used a bond son, heavy on the BW but nothing a mature cow couldnt handle, I wouldnt use him on heifers by any means. Great udders, good frame, moderate cows that milk well with solid attachment.
As far as improving a sloppy udder, either goat teats, sectioned, attachment, whatever the best bull I have used is 606 and bond son was a close second.

redfornow":2tqfm4qh said:
This is a classic case of we are talking about different enviroments!!!
Heck this discussion has ranged from canada to s.africa to tx to Mo and now KY.....

So this is less about BW than about needs for an area.

I have used a bond son, heavy on the BW but nothing a mature cow couldnt handle, I wouldnt use him on heifers by any means. Great udders, good frame, moderate cows that milk well with solid attachment.
As far as improving a sloppy udder, either goat teats, sectioned, attachment, whatever the best bull I have used is 606 and bond son was a close second.

I agree with most of what you say, red.

Although I wouldn't use this bull, I can sure see some "good" in the limited data available on him. Even though he has a good bit of BW, his calving ease EPD is pretty low for that much BW, which means that his calves are born easy compared to their size. Also, his daughters in production have produced at 100+ percent.

Looking at his phenotype and the growth possibility, he looks like he'd be OK to use on cows to me.

George

Latest posts