WTH

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
Got a call from our daughter who lives across the road from us. Said they found a 9MM bullet lodged in their daughters bed. Just south of them, a guy target shoots on the back end of his property (I guess because he doesn't want stray bullets to hit his house or family). I heard him out there yesterday. Apparently one of his bullets strayed and went through the wall and into my granddaughters bed. SIL said that he suspected the guy was shooting in their direction because he could sometimes hear things fall into the trees above his head. But really thought the guy was smart enough to have a berm or was shooting away from their house...but I guess not...
Who knows what this day will bring....

Several years ago a person found his dog dead from a gun shot. Very high caliber and not very popular. One person about a half mile away had this type gun. He said that they were shooting across their pond and into the bank. The assumption was that some how a bullet hit the water and glanced and hit the dog. No one denied anything.

I wasn't questioning anything
I was just curious how they knew it was 9mm

Lost two cows that way. Neighbor had his target setup bout a half mile away in the direction of a path the cattle used daily. There they both laid dead right on the path. The bullets went through trees and you could not see the path from his target. Had a talk with him and he did stop, but never seen a dime for my dead cows.

Had some Mexican's a few years ago not far from me every evening sounded like WW3 and I could hear the bullets come in my directions. I went and got my Mini-14 and unloaded a few clips (magazines) back in their direction (made sure they hit in a safe place). I never heard them shoot again.

jltrent":35amxhy7 said:
Lost two cows that way. Neighbor had his target setup bout a half mile away in the direction of a path the cattle used daily. There they both laid dead right on the path. The bullets went through trees and you could not see the path from his target. Had a talk with him and he did stop, but never seen a dime for my dead cows.

Had some Mexican's a few years ago not far from me every evening sounded like WW3 and I could hear the bullets come in my directions. I went and got my Mini-14 and unloaded a few clips (magazines) back in their direction (made sure they hit in a safe place). I never heard them shoot again.
Did you ask him to pay you for the cows?

OwnedByTheCow":38owuagn said:
jltrent":38owuagn said:

Did you ask him to pay you for the cows?
I think he was fourteen at the time and just got a new .22. I was pissed, but knew I was wasting my time trying to collect as I didn't see him shoot them and it was a half mile away, so not 100% sure, but maybe 99%. Just part of farming, what do you do and his family probably wouldn't have paid.

Cross-7":2t1yv9rl said:

I suppose that starting with a set of calipers or a micrometer would be the logical first step, but I'm no forensic crime scene investigatory expert.

cowgirl8":1kk6p5l2 said:
Got a call from our daughter who lives across the road from us. Said they found a 9MM bullet lodged in their daughters bed. Just south of them, a guy target shoots on the back end of his property (I guess because he doesn't want stray bullets to hit his house or family). I heard him out there yesterday. Apparently one of his bullets strayed and went through the wall and into my granddaughters bed. SIL said that he suspected the guy was shooting in their direction because he could sometimes hear things fall into the trees above his head. But really thought the guy was smart enough to have a berm or was shooting away from their house...but I guess not...
Who knows what this day will bring....
I know what his day would bring, if I found out about it....

Farm Fence Solutions":3gkogexd said:
Cross-7":3gkogexd said:

I suppose that starting with a set of calipers or a micrometer would be the logical first step, but I'm no forensic crime scene investigatory expert.

I guess when I read it being lodged in the bed I assumed in the headboard or whatever and it would have been flared out or something.
I wouldn't have thought about digging it out and trying to mic it to determine the caliber.
Anyway just curious

Cross-7":iatd6hqm said:
Farm Fence Solutions":iatd6hqm said:
Cross-7":iatd6hqm said:

I guess when I read it being lodged in the bed I assumed in the headboard or whatever and it would have been flared out or something.
I wouldn't have thought about digging it out and trying to mic it to determine the caliber.
Anyway just curious

I'd guess that any handgun round that would go that far and make it through a wall and lodge its self into the bed, would have to be a FMJ el cheapo. They'll sure enough distort a little, but are pretty easy to recognize. Just speculation, no facts from me.

Report it to the Sheriff. This is their function. They know what actions need to be taken. I would leave the bullet where it is for them to examine, unless you have already removed it. I would not contact the neighbor, let the Sheriff do that.

Bright Raven":25zz3yig said:
Report it to the Sheriff. This is their function. They know what actions need to be taken. I would leave the bullet where it is for them to examine, unless you have already removed it. I would not contact the neighbor, let the Sheriff do that.
She said it was a 9mm bullet. And common sense says, without removing the bullet there would be no way to know that.

True Grit Farms":34dsgqe9 said:
Bright Raven":34dsgqe9 said:
She said it was a 9mm bullet. And common sense says, without removing the bullet there would be no way to know that.

I assumed she had removed it but there is the possibility that she was guessing what calibre it was. Maybe she knows the guy who was shooting, uses a 9 mm. It is always best to not mess with a potential evidential scene. I assume the guy might be in for a charge of public endangerment.

Bright Raven":km28oy7f said:
True Grit Farms":km28oy7f said:
Bright Raven":km28oy7f said:

I assumed she had removed it but there is the possibility that she was guessing what calibre it was. Maybe she knows the guy who was shooting, uses a 9 mm. It is always best to not mess with a potential evidential scene. I assume the guy might be in for a charge of public endangerment.
I'd be getting me a different 9mm if I was him ASAP.

Latest posts