WTF... Did you do to my track loader???

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
WTF... Did you do to my track loader??? Is the words that I said when one of the farm employees came back to the shop with the loader. He was running it clearing some of my logged land and broke the pin and bushing and the pin was in half he decided oh well i can put the pen back in here or atleast half of it and keep working .... WRONG WRONG WRONG... now look at the mess he has left me. So far the pin was $ 500.00 I gotta call my friend thats a welder and see what he thinks.

Aaron":3r316lkv said:
Uh oh...that don't look good.

No it doesnt my mechanic said best to let a certified welder fix that he said he couldnt straighten the steel its a inch thick and bent pretty bad said probably needs replacing and or taken to a machine shop they may have a way to heat it and straighten it out. My friend is a certified welder he will be here tomorrow to check it out.

Going to be a hard fix. Not like that one half inch piece can be taken off and bent true with a vise and anvil. I would like to know what you hear. I had a high school student in the local area working for me and what he did had me saying worse things and I hardly ever curse. When I took him home, I took him in front of his dad. I told his dad exactly what he did so we all three would have the same story to work from. His dad looked at him calmly and said, "Stevie, Stevie, Stevie. I have told you, you can not go to someone's place and take their equipment apart when you don't know what you are doing." His dad looked at me, "Ron, half what I have on this place will not run because Stevie has worked on it." I felt worse for him than I did for myself, because I could get rid of Stevie and his dad had to keep him. Would you believe his instructions were to only change the oil????? :roll:

Leason Learned: Don't leave a teenager with a piece of eqiupment and an air impact wrench. :cry2:
The funny part, was when I was yelling at him and using every word in my four letter vocabulary, he looked at me real serious and said, "You better not make me mad." I had to process the fact that he was the last one that should be mad. Suddenly, I went into a bout of the most relaxed laughter I had ever had. You would have to see this sheepish look of anger on his face to appreciate his reaction. It allowed me to totally relax and move past it. I hope you can too.

I fixed stuff like that all the time. $500.00 for the pin is way to much, just bought a 1 1/2" x 14" swing pin for my backhoe that cost $60.00. The worst part is that the machine will have been welded on. Might as well put new bushings in that side while your at it.

Stop whining, when equipment gets used stuff happens. Instead of posting this stuff maybe you could be the one operating the equipment. You want to be a big shot with employees then deal with the consequences.

My 2 cents

My mistake was supposed to be pins 3 pins were $500.00. Yea my guy came said he would rather cut it off and reweld a piece on there. He will get on it this week sometime meanwhile my mechanic said he would like to try and heat it and see if it will move I told him go ahead try it if you want. dun you are correct about that.

AllForage":1ulws1ek said:
Stop whining, when equipment gets used stuff happens. Instead of posting this stuff maybe you could be the one operating the equipment. You want to be a big shot with employees then deal with the consequences.

My 2 cents

AllForage seems as though you have a problem with someone having employees??????? Having employees does not make you a big shot just so you know. I am not the only one on here with employees. I put my pant legs on one leg at a time just like anyone else does. I have been running machines for years and yes I have broken stuff but not because of STUPIDITY.

i think we all have delt with people that can an do tear the heck out of equipment.an i dont like people like that because most of the time they dont pay attention to what they are doing.an they could careless what they tear up.because they cant fix it an its not their money.

bigbull338":stlr98ot said:
i think we all have delt with people that can an do tear the heck out of equipment.an i dont like people like that because most of the time they dont pay attention to what they are doing.an they could careless what they tear up.because they cant fix it an its not their money.

:clap:

bigbull338":12zwt43z said:
My neighbor and I own some haying equipment jointly. We used to hire another neighbor, a 45 year man to help out. Since we've quit hiring him our repair bills are almost nothing. Just normal wear and tear instead of stuff broken from abuse/neglect/stupidity.

My boss's policy is if you break something that is clearly your fault for example rotating the back of an excavator into a tree or truck or running a tree limb through a dozer window it comes out of your pocket. I once spent half a paycheck on a trackhoe side panel but you better believe it never happened again.

That was caused by lack of grease. When the joint got dry, the loader arm was trying to turn the pin instead of rotate on the pin. The turning force broke the bolt in the ear on the end that holds the pin in place. Then the pin started backing out, and when it was only supported on one side it broke. It's a job to fix. You might heat it and straighten it out, but it's probably cheaper to make a new one and weld it in. For Cat stuff, you can buy repair parts for buckets, you might check with the dealer.

john

"My mistake was supposed to be pins 3 pins were $500.00. Yea my guy came said he would rather cut it off and reweld a piece on there. He will get on it this week sometime meanwhile my mechanic said he would like to try and heat it and see if it will move I told him go ahead try it if you want. dun you are correct about that."

If you heat that plate hot enough to straighten it, it will never have the same strength and probably crack out somewhere else. Thats why your welder wants to cut it out and replace it. I could cut out a new plate and bushings for the pin and weld it in probably as fast as trying to straighten that one so the pin will fit like it is supposed to. And the arm needs drilled and tapped for a new grease zerk if the old threads are bad. As Gateboy said it would have never broke the keeper bolt and let the pin back out if the pin had been greased and the arm move properly. Just my 2cents as a welder.

b&m and Gate you all are 100% correct on the root cause. :tiphat: :clap: The guy had been using it knowing that one grease fitting wasnt allowing him to grease it ..said he figured it would be ok without grease till he got finished on the area he was working on instead of going into the shop getting a new grease fitting and changing it out. This could have been avoided.

skyhightree1":2q30aysp said:
My mistake was supposed to be pins 3 pins were $500.00. Yea my guy came said he would rather cut it off and reweld a piece on there. He will get on it this week sometime meanwhile my mechanic said he would like to try and heat it and see if it will move I told him go ahead try it if you want. dun you are correct about that.

AllForage":2q30aysp said:

My 2 cents

AllForage seems as though you have a problem with someone having employees??????? Having employees does not make you a big shot just so you know. I am not the only one on here with employees. I put my pant legs on one leg at a time just like anyone else does. I have been running machines for years and yes I have broken stuff but not because of STUPIDITY.

Not at all, just seems a bit lame to complain about this here. Perhaps your Facebook account would be more appropriate.

AllForage seems as though you have a problem with someone having employees??????? Having employees does not make you a big shot just so you know. I am not the only one on here with employees. I put my pant legs on one leg at a time just like anyone else does. I have been running machines for years and yes I have broken stuff but not because of STUPIDITY.[/quote]

Not at all, just seems a bit lame to complain about this here. Perhaps your Facebook account would be more appropriate.[/quote]

Perhaps you may be a tad jealous??????? since you are the only one that seems to have a problem with it. It also appears that you have forgotten that this is a PUBLIC forum where anyone that is a member can post anything that they want regardless if you have employeees or not as long as its within the forums rules. It even gives you the right to show your jealousy on your posts here without taking it to " Facebook " . So as you are upset I put a post up about my loader troubles I am sitting here :lol: @ you. and Allforage this is for you :tiphat: :banana: :banana:

Look on the bright side, at least he didn't break your tractor into two pieces. Seems like that happened to some lucky fella here some time back. Or was that twice that happened? Yep, think it was. No, I know it was. :bang: :bang:

Retroactive abortion is gaining support.

Jogeephus":2zvbul7e said:
Look on the bright side, at least he didn't break your tractor into two pieces. Seems like that happened to some lucky fella here some time back. Or was that twice that happened? Yep, think it was. No, I know it was. :bang: :bang:

Retroactive abortion is gaining support.

Tractor broke in 2 pieces :shock: umm.. I won't complain about some bent up metal then :lol: Wow I have heard people say that can happen but never known anyone that it happened too. What can cause that?