Writing On The Wall

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
I should have known something was up sooner, but I'm glad I got to looking last week.

At 7:30 this morning our concrete guy bailed on us.
Builders are suppose to be here on the 26th.

well this guy just seemed to be fishy. No signed contract and would not accept a down payment. Would not give us a set date for starting.

Last week I was pretty stressed out and talked to my daughters therapist. Her dad is in the construction field. He found us a different concrete guy who is just doing a sidewalk and waiting for a permit.
Were going to have him out to just look at the job when the first guy bailed.
I was so looking forward to firing him.

So the foundation will be getting started tomorrow. Called the second guy and he is coming out to see what he might need and to meet us. Said no sense in hauling out equipment he might not need or to not bring the equipment he does need.
Said he will charge us the same as the first guy and I will get it in writing along with a completion date.

Now I need to make a nice Thank You card for the other guy that found him. :D :D
looks like our luck is turning.

I luv herfrds":4eayqzqi said:
I should have known something was up sooner, but I'm glad I got to looking last week.

At 7:30 this morning our concrete guy bailed on us.
Builders are suppose to be here on the 26th.

well this guy just seemed to be fishy. No signed contract and would not accept a down payment. Would not give us a set date for starting.

Last week I was pretty stressed out and talked to my daughters therapist. Her dad is in the construction field. He found us a different concrete guy who is just doing a sidewalk and waiting for a permit.
Were going to have him out to just look at the job when the first guy bailed.
I was so looking forward to firing him.

So the foundation will be getting started tomorrow. Called the second guy and he is coming out to see what he might need and to meet us. Said no sense in hauling out equipment he might not need or to not bring the equipment he does need.
Said he will charge us the same as the first guy and I will get it in writing along with a completion date.

Now I need to make a nice Thank You card for the other guy that found him. :D :D
looks like our luck is turning.
There is a huge difference in a sidewalk and a home foundation. Is he licensed by the state and bonded, does he carry his own workmens comp Insurance on himself and all employees. Be sure to cover yourself If he screws everything up, what's your recorse. Good luck.

Already checked his references, state licensing and will check his work comp. All his references were for foundations.

hope yall can get the foundation work going soon.i know how stressed out yall are over building a new house.

Ditto that! Keep in mind that just because everything isn't going exactly right doesn't mean the house is being built right. I know it can be frustrating.

At 7:

looks like our luck is turning.[/quote]
How about a steak dinner instead.......:)

Sat down with the new guy today. Went through the bid by the previous guy. There were several concerns brought up.

Found out we would need a pumper truck. First guy never mentioned that. Figured he was going to hit us with that at the end.

Coming out tomorrow morning to pour the footings. Set the forms on Wednesday. pour on Thursday. remove the forms and pour the slab on Monday.

He is going to call our builders and see if they can set back 3 days. If not, going to do what he can to work with them around the final pour.

......."would not accept a down payment."......

There's the strange part. Usually the bailing comes right after the down payment is made.

Maybe he flunked out of contractor school?

heres a concrete tip for you.make sure they have enough cement trucks to pour your foundation in 1 day.because if they pour it in 2 days the foundation will crack sooner or later.i know this because they pulled that on my dad.an poured our foundation in 2 days.an it cracked.

The footings are done. :banana: :banana:

Coming back tomorrow to set the wall forms.
Talked to the guy tonight and he said that the cement company better get on the ball, they were an hour and a half late today.
Said that if they mess around we will run into problems with the cement and the pumper truck.
They said they will get the walls done in one day.

BB were you talking about just the walls or the walls and floor?

Here's some pics.

Frame ready
footings074.jpg

First load
footings078.jpg

Scarey moment. Truck dropped into a hole. Sweating bullets.
footings082.jpg

Almost done
footings089.jpg

im talking about the slabb aka the floor.see our house is about 3000sq feet.so thats 1 big concrete slabb to pour an finish.

Bear the plumber cancelled this morning so he can have a full day tomorrow.
Slab will now be done on Wednesday.

Builders are coming on the 29th now.

Stressfull MO? You bet. Got woke up three times due to heart burn this morning. :nod:

I luv herfrds":163r7xot said:
Bear the plumber cancelled this morning so he can have a full day tomorrow.
Slab will now be done on Wednesday.

Builders are coming on the 29th now.

Stressfull MO? You bet. Got woke up three times due to heart burn this morning. :nod:
Didn't mean to step in on your business but I have seen two houses this year where homeowners were just a little to quick and poured their slabs before plumbing underslab was installed. It looks great. Good Luck!
Bear

Bear better to take our time and do it right or do it fast and have a mess. :D
These guys know what they are doing pouring the concrete, we are just staying out of their way. Best place for the homeowner. :nod:

I sure got them the other day though. Forgot to talk to their boss about a small pad just outside of the basement door. Talked to the crew foreman and then the boss. No problem.
then I told them I had one more request, I could see it going through the minds, "Oh no."
asked them to sign their names to the slab.
They came out and saved our house going up now so I want their names.
Then they looked at me like I was crazy, guess I am. :lol2:

I luv herfrds":183xh15a said:
we are just staying out of their way. Best place for the homeowner.
Actually, (and I'm saying this because I've been there and seen it so many times) the homeowner's part is making decisions. Its your money and your house, so you decide how it is spent. The one thing that nearly always slows down and over budgets a project, is the owners inability to make timely decisions. Not all can do it and alot will hire it done for them. I have worked with many decorators through the years, that made (in some cases all) the decisions for the homeowner. I hate to even say it, but I had rather work with a man decorator, even though most are gay and give me the creeps, because a man will make up his mind and stick to it, where most women can't.

I am saying this to maybe help you and possibly save you some heartache and money. While the contractors are doing things that will not require your undivided attention, you should be making decisions on things like, windows, are they ordered and what color should they be. Shingles, what do you want the roof to look like, Are the colors or textures you want readily available or do they have to be ordered. Doors, what style, what hinges, is the front door a custom door, will it have to be ordered. If it will take you a couple days to make one decision, believe me the workers will catch up to you in a hurry and that's when the nerves get frazzled.

Paint colors, floor textures and materials (wood, carpet, tile), cabinetry, counter tops, hardware (doorknobs, cabinet nobs, hinges, bathroom fixtures and towel and tissue holders, ....,) wall paper, trim style, fireplace ( style of the firebox, mantle, ....) light fixtures, appliances, the list is endless. I am talking about the actual product not what you think you may want. If you are working with a budget, the quicker you get started the better, you can pick out several different ones and if you are over or under budget you can go back and change them around, something that is imposable to do after it is installed. Make sure everything is ordered and ask the builder when he is going to need what so you know when you must have that decision made and ordered. Don't wait and ask them when they show up or wait until they ask where it is, do it now.

Latest posts