Writing On The Wall

Help Support CattleToday:

Good point upfrombottom.
What I mean by staying out of their way is not standing directly behind them while they work and bugging them. :D ;-)
we're standing off to the side watching.

Well the doors and windows were ordered last month and are waiting for us to give them a delivery date.
Colors are already chosen.
Roof type and color already picked.
Floor types are picked and I actually have the tile for the master bathroom, even though we are not anywhere close to that.
Also have picked the entry door tile style.
I would say pretty much everything is picked, including the beds that will go in the kids rooms when they move out. :lol2: :lol2:

Now here is the hard part we have not agreed upon yet.
Stain color for the logs and the color of the composite shingles going on the gable ends.

We have asked the builder to give us a date when he will need the windows and doors and everything he will need.

I would like to offer a little more advise, I know you didn't ask for it, but there are a few things you need to pay attention to, to keep yourself out of trouble and keep your project on schedule. I know you are acting as your own general contractor and I have been on both sides of the fence with this one, as a subcontractor and a general.

I know it is finished, but using your foundation as an example, is the guy that dug the basement the same guy that is going to do the finish grading around the house? Is the guy pouring the footings the same one that is going to pour carports, garages, equipment pads, sidewalks....? The plumber will be next in line. He will have to rough in under the slab, and will not be needed again until the framing is completed and then again at finish.

The absolute best way to get a price on anything is to have it itemised. As different projects are being completed, the subs will rightfully be wanting to get paid. He has bills to pay and payroll to make and it is not uncommon for one to ask for a draw in the middle of a task. Most will have several projects going and will move from one to the other waiting on other contractors to complete something or, as in the concrete man, waiting on the concrete to cure. Never pay for a project not completed and if it is itemised you will know if they are asking to make a draw for more that they have completed at the time. It is common practice to stay at least 10% ahead of them on the money. Usually that is their profit, they can operate without it until the end of the project, but will never leave it on the table. If you think getting them there to start is a problem wait until they are ahead of you on the money and see how much trouble it is to get them back. Will he return when you need him to or will he go to another job that may be a little more lucrative at the time? If they are completely finished and there are no problems with the work and they will not be needed again, pay them, but if he has other work left to be done, it is imperative that you stay ahead to keep your project on schedule.

upfrombottom":83b0m7u4 said:
I would like to offer a little more advise, I know you didn't ask for it, but there are a few things you need to pay attention to, to keep yourself out of trouble and keep your project on schedule. I know you are acting as your own general contractor and I have been on both sides of the fence with this one, as a subcontractor and a general.

I know it is finished, but using your foundation as an example, is the guy that dug the basement the same guy that is going to do the finish grading around the house? Is the guy pouring the footings the same one that is going to pour carports, garages, equipment pads, sidewalks....? The plumber will be next in line. He will have to rough in under the slab, and will not be needed again until the framing is completed and then again at finish.

The absolute best way to get a price on anything is to have it itemised. As different projects are being completed, the subs will rightfully be wanting to get paid. He has bills to pay and payroll to make and it is not uncommon for one to ask for a draw in the middle of a task. Most will have several projects going and will move from one to the other waiting on other contractors to complete something or, as in the concrete man, waiting on the concrete to cure. Never pay for a project not completed and if it is itemised you will know if they are asking to make a draw for more that they have completed at the time. It is common practice to stay at least 10% ahead of them on the money. Usually that is their profit, they can operate without it until the end of the project, but will never leave it on the table. If you think getting them there to start is a problem wait until they are ahead of you on the money and see how much trouble it is to get them back. Will he return when you need him to or will he go to another job that may be a little more lucrative at the time? If they are completely finished and there are no problems with the work and they will not be needed again, pay them, but if he has other work left to be done, it is imperative that you stay ahead to keep your project on schedule.

Another thing to consider is that if the contractor is charging material at the local lumberyard to YOUR project then YOU are responsible for that bill to be paid. The lumberyard will place a lien on YOUR house and it will stay there until they are paid. I have seen a few deals where the homeowner paid the contractor thinking the money was going to materials and then received a bill from the supplier for materials and the contractor was long gone. FYI

DITTO on getting work done if they are ahead of you on money. I have drug a partially paid up painter oput of every bar in town over just that kind of deal.\

BTW are there any Painters out that don't drink?

3waycross":16nar6ki said:
Nah. Bricklayers either. When my house was being built, the brick mason fell off a 20 ft scaffold and the painter got a dui on his drive home from the building site all the same day.

3waycross":1d2i3rpj said:
upfrombottom":1d2i3rpj said:

Another thing to consider is that if the contractor is charging material at the local lumberyard to YOUR project then YOU are responsible for that bill to be paid. The lumberyard will place a lien on YOUR house and it will stay there until they are paid. I have seen a few deals where the homeowner paid the contractor thinking the money was going to materials and then received a bill from the supplier for materials and the contractor was long gone. FYI

DITTO on getting work done if they are ahead of you on money. I have drug a partially paid up painter oput of every bar in town over just that kind of deal.\

Everyone knows that nothing washes paint down better than cold Budweiser. ~Tom

I had a painting crew working for me once and they had hired a guy that was staying in a halfway house. They showed up on the job one day without him and I asked where he was. They kinda laughed and said he was in jail for soliciting prostitution. One of the other painters said he had told him where to go for service and said: "I told him if she had all her teeth, she was a cop. I guess he wasn't paying attention." :lol:

Got the floor done today. Pretty happy about it. :D :D

Just starting
basementfloor024.jpg

Half way done
basementfloor031.jpg

All done
basementfloor048.jpg

Looks wet, but it is the sealant they sprayed on it.

You could have had the painting crew that the family had out here years ago. A couple tried to get the hubby to find them some pot. One was always drunk.
And they painted a bunch of the windows shut. :roll: :roll: