Wrapping SS or Millet Baleage ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Been wrapping some stemmy baleage with $100 per roll silage wrap. Very expensive the way I am doing it. How many wraps are you putting on, and how long does it last for you?

I helped a guy wrap some baleage one time. He wanted 25 layers on it. Seemed like a lot but he said he wasn't sure how long he was gonna store it. We would cut a little triangle in the wrapped stuff and use a razor blade to separate and count the layers. Then just duck tape over the spot.

I helped a guy wrap some baleage one time. He wanted 25 layers on it. Seemed like a lot but he said he wasn't sure how long he was gonna store it. We would cut a little triangle in the wrapped stuff and use a razor blade to separate and count the layers. Then just duck tape over the spot.
I know many only put on 4 to 6 wraps on finer stemmed stuff, but then they only store it for a couple months.

Last edited:
My stuff has 6 wraps on it. I have put up to 8 on it before. We wrap SS and wheat/ryegrass. I've seen some stalks look like they were going to break through a time or two on some very mature SS but they never did. I have ryegrass that I wrapped in spring of 2021 that I will start feeding in late October. The man that wraps for me says if you wrap and don't feed it that winter then you need to the following winter. That is what I have tried to do and always had good luck.

Latest posts