WOW what did I do wrong

Help Support CattleToday:

Actually that's time from mouth to butt, not stomach. The longer it takes, the more that is taken out along the way

brandonm_13":2kjofq9p said:
Actually that's time from mouth to butt, not stomach. The longer it takes, the more that is taken out along the way
we still talkin' about cattle right :p that's what im refering too.... absorption...

ALACOWMAN":p6uzh15r said:
brandonm_13":p6uzh15r said:
we still talkin' about cattle right :p that's what im refering too.... absorption...

Cattle???? I thought this was an NFL forum... That explains alot. :?

Yeah I'm talking about cattle, and absorption too.

Yes the calves are very long and do not have big shoulders. I have been feeding them but I didnt think an over abundant amount.The hay this year is really crappy and I left the best for last and that may be a contributing factor. I just dont like seeing big numbers like that. 80 lbs is ok with me but you get up to 100 and I dont like it but hey they laid down and spit em out ok.
The BW on bull was 2.3 not a negative # but still below avg. and calve ease was 3 . something. I cant remember and I havent dug out the paper work yet. This was an unproven bull. Accuracy was like a .10

Mothers BW was 75lbs and father was near that or a little higher.
But I think Brandonm told me once that even avg there is a chance for big calves.

They are both ok and doing fine. Both are bull calves and have long legs and bodys. I will get pics soon . JHH

[/quote] Length and time from front to back is one of the determining factors into how much is lost between the "mouth and anus." Capacity(if you're speaking of stomach capacity) is more of a factor based on quality of forage. A high capacity is needed in low quality forage environments, but in my area, most people feed so much concentrate, stomach capacity isn't much of an issue.[/quote]

Brandon, in what area of TN are you? In Mid TN stomach capacity is of great import. Most cattle here are fed grass and hay. No concentrate except in rare cases.

JHH":2fekibtp said:
Yes the calves are very long and do not have big shoulders. I have been feeding them but I didnt think an over abundant amount.The hay this year is really crappy and I left the best for last and that may be a contributing factor. I just dont like seeing big numbers like that. 80 lbs is ok with me but you get up to 100 and I dont like it but hey they laid down and spit em out ok.
The BW on bull was 2.3 not a negative # but still below avg. and calve ease was 3 . something. I cant remember and I havent dug out the paper work yet. This was an unproven bull. Accuracy was like a .10

Mothers BW was 75lbs and father was near that or a little higher.
But I think Brandonm told me once that even avg there is a chance for big calves.

They are both ok and doing fine. Both are bull calves and have long legs and bodys. I will get pics soon . JHH

JHH, the 2.3 bw epd sounds about right. You may misunderstand the calving ease numbers. A high number is good, consequently, a 3 would not be good, especially with a bull having only .10 accuracy

Did they all calve on time? I had a group of heifers hold their baby's 10-14 days past due. Biggest set of babies I've seen. had to pull a bunch. But I don't know what you can do about that. I thought heifers were supposed to calve early. As cows they all settled back into calving on time.

angus9259":2dx6axp2 said:
I thought heifers were supposed to calve early. As cows they all settled back into calving on time.

That's one of the problems with cattle, they don;t read the books or follow the rules. Over the years we've had as many heifers calve late as early, and some right on their expected date.

Length and time from front to back is one of the determining factors into how much is lost between the "mouth and anus." Capacity(if you're speaking of stomach capacity) is more of a factor based on quality of forage. A high capacity is needed in low quality forage environments, but in my area, most people feed so much concentrate, stomach capacity isn't much of an issue.[/quote]

Brandon, in what area of TN are you? In Mid TN stomach capacity is of great import. Most cattle here are fed grass and hay. No concentrate except in rare cases.[/quote]

Apparently, you've never worked at a Co-op. Few people in the county I worked were grass only cattlemen. Most just fed 1-3 pounds a day, but a surprising number of farmers were feeding 5-10+ pounds per day. If you asked them, most would say they were only feeding a couple of pounds, but after years of seeing them on a regular basis, you knew how many cows they were running, and it was easy to do the math.

Well just one heifer left and one cow and I will be done.

Lowest BW on the heifers was 90 lbs. so far. did not have to pull or assist any of them but I will be a little more cautious on the next bunch that I breed.

I will get pics soon and let everyone rip them up. I am happy with them and now I have to make another decision. Keep the heifers or sell them.

So far I have 8 heifers and 3 bull calves. Knock on wood they all seem to be doing fine.JHH

We here a lot on here about calving ease bulls, and low birth birth weight bulls. Never here any thing about what it takes to get heifers that will have those 90 lb calves with out any trouble. Calving ease maternel epd,s seem to get very little attention, and is greatly important for produceing heifers that will have those big calves.

Red Bull - that's exactly right. When you pick a LBW bull or EC bull, you should be checking the Maternal Calving Ease. These are antaganistic traits, but there are bulls out there that excel in both traits.
The heifers that were able to handle the 90+ BW may have come out of stock with good MCE traits.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Doc, I won't get into a battle with you (don't have the time or energy) but, I disagree. You cannot make a blanket statement about the weight of the national cow herd. Mature size relating to PROFIT, depends on the LOCATION. It is not PROFITABLE in my area to run small cows. Mature size of 1400-1600 is much more in line with forage quality & profit - for us and others.
I am a PROFIT oriented operation. That means my low end calves (steers) also must be profitable for me AND my buyer. We have been selling steers to 1 buyer private treated, sight unseen, over our scales, for many years. This indicate they must be making him $$$$.
Weight of cows is a strong indication of weight of offspring, and yes, we do sell POUNDS - bottom line. POUNDS for weaned calves & POUNDS for salvage value of cull cows.
Cull cows are an important part of yearly income in any operation.[/quote

If those 1400-1600 pound cows are weaning off 60 percent of their weight, let me know where I can purchase some. Also in your part of the cointry I would probably expect about 65 percent of body weight due to the stronger quality forage.

Latest posts