Wow..what a day/breach/etc..

Help Support CattleToday:

insurman

Reaction score
When I get that feeling that we need to cull a heifer or cow...going forward I will never let anyone talk me into keeping her. I am by no means an expert but I had that feeling and should have followed thru 9 months or so ago..

Had a heifer that was not prego, she had been with the bull for awhile and I let the vet convince me to give her a shot..well fast forward to now. She was a big girl to start with and she was HUGE...looking like twin huge. Bred to a proven low birth weight Simbrah..prob 30 calves and nothing over 65lbs.

I am at the office and wife gets to farm and she is standing there, large pool of water, mucus, etc.. and she appears to be struggling. Get her penned and call the vet...vet reaches in and she is breach...can only get his hands on one leg. Says we have to get her to the clinic..I am on my way, get her loaded and in the chute at the vet clinic.

Here is the etc...part. A second vet gets in and says that her cervix has a band of tissue going north/south in her cervix and one leg is thru one hole and the other leg thru the other hole..he gets the leg thru the same opening (later it was figured that it was a tear that pulled away from one side) and they start cranking and it is a struggle and at the same time he is saying that it is a small calf, then does a little episiotomy and finally it pops out..

He looks down and looks at me with that "WTF" looks and says "two heads"!!

Even if it was not breach she could not have had it.. Calf is dead, heifer was give a couple of shots and she is taking a ride in 28 days.

Yep..two heads. I asked the vet (young guy) how often do you see that..and he said "only in books".

Not blaming on the heifer but I know for sure it is not the bull..between that and the cervix problem, she does not get a second chance. Like I said in the original post..was not a fan of hers to start and I should have culled her a long time ago. I know you will never have a problem free herd but if you have one with history, she is gone. Take my lumps and move on.

A friend of mine had a goat born with 2 heads, the baby goat was alive. She brought the baby to the vet to be euthanized. It was not something she wanted to deal with.

Latest posts