WOW, That is some real $$$$

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
I just got my weekly livestock reporter in this week. I was astounded when I read one sale report. Limestone Angus in Perkins Ok sold 117 lots for over 3 million $. the average was $25,673 for the 117 lots. Man why didn't I have about 10 head in that sale.they sold several females for over $220,000. They sold four lots for over $135,000. One went for $220,000 for 1/2 interest. a bred heifer sold for $70,000. Thank god I'm not in the Angus breed. How do you folks afford to have a herd. I'll sell my whole herd for half that Average. LOL

I'm sorry, I just have to do this. After thinking about my lastpost, I had to add this. I wonder if (what's his name this week) was in on some of those. Well maybe not

the title of this thread is kinda ironic.

"real $$$$"?????

dont be so sure.

No for real, those numbers are real numbers. That is the sale report from that sale. I just threw in the jab at what's his name for fun. The crazy average and sale numbers are real

plbcattle":18cy8ogs said:
No for real, those numbers are real numbers. That is the sale report from that sale. I just threw in the jab at what's his name for fun. The crazy average and sale numbers are real

i think you missed my point.

look at the customers that bought the high dollar animals. then go to the customers sale and see if Limestone isnt listed. you will be amazed.

it's not real money being spent; it's just trading money so they can say they have high dollar animals and operations. this is called the purebred money-go-round.

where these operations make real money is when they find some rich sucker that thinks it is business as usual and puts his real money into it.

Check to see who owns those animals a couple of years from now. I always make it a practice to try to figure out who is bidding on animals at a sale besides the one who wins. Often as not, it's a buddy of the seller or the winning bidder. Hmmmm....... :roll:

They did that a lot with the Arabian Horse....Priced themselves into a mess..

You mean that $50,000 steer I bought at the Golddust Angus Breeder's Sale may not be worth that much?!? :shock: :cry: :lol: :lol: ;-)

Peg I was in Az when the Arab market crashed. All of those million dollar barns on Bell Rd were pristine and manicured one week full of 6 & 7 figure horses. Two weeks later the weeds were getting a start and they were trying (Not sucessfully) to give the horses away. I'd hate to see the same thing happen to the Angus market because of what it will do to the industry as a whole.Z

Alot of the "big boys" use these cattle as investments for tax write offs on their real businesses. Buy a cow, flush her as much as possible, make money and sell her in a couple years for half as much. Same with the high dollar bulls.

It's just business to them. Heck, if I had that kind of money to play with, I would probably do the same.

I don't see what a crash in the over priced purebred animals would do to cow calf producers or the price of beef in general so I don't care about something that is more about accounting and underhandedness then growing cattle.

Try to think it through. If the market crashed on one breed of cattle and those cattle started getting dumped in the sale barns what is that going to do? You just created a buyers market and the price of everything drops. That makes your $1.25 steer go for maybe $.95. This ain't Rocket science pup. A $.30 hicky on a 400 pound steer is $120. 50 of those is $6000. How much of that can YOU (or is it your Daddy) stand?Z

MillIronQH":3udzwg2v said:
Try to think it through. If the market crashed on one breed of cattle and those cattle started getting dumped in the sale barns what is that going to do? You just created a buyers market and the price of everything drops. That makes your $1.25 steer go for maybe $.95. This ain't Rocket science pup. A $.30 hicky on a 400 pound steer is $120. 50 of those is $6000. How much of that can YOU stand?Z

Those people that are playing in the huge dollar per head market aren;t in any way shape or form in the same category as the vast majority of beef producers. If they loose their collective butts there will alwasy be someone that has dollars to pee against the wall as a tax writeoff to fill the void

dun

dun":3gpgqlsm said:
MillIronQH":3gpgqlsm said:
Try to think it through. If the market crashed on one breed of cattle and those cattle started getting dumped in the sale barns what is that going to do? You just created a buyers market and the price of everything drops. That makes your $1.25 steer go for maybe $.95. This ain't Rocket science pup. A $.30 hicky on a 400 pound steer is $120. 50 of those is $6000. How much of that can YOU stand?Z

Those people that are playing in the huge dollar per head market aren;t in any way shape or form in the same category as the vast majority of beef producers. If they loose their collective butts there will alwasy be someone that has dollars to pee against the wall as a tax writeoff to fill the void

You are 100% correct and we both know that it will be the little 50-500 head cowman that will suffer.Z

dun

I Would love to argue my point, but it can not be proven without this actually happening. I don't think this market is as up and down anymore. After all the mad BSE scares and the dumping this year of alot of cattle do to draught I don't see calves loosing .30 if this were to happen.

I don't disagree that sometimes large breeders "trade" females. But when you have a sale with dozens of lots going to breeders all over the country, and none under $8k, it's not just trading, or rich businessman looking for a tax break. I've come to the conclusion, for us, that it makes more sense to own a handful of really good animals, and flush, versus owning a couple of hundred average animals and hauling the calves to the sale barn once a year. Really good, flush quality cattle cost more. This may not make sense for everybody, but I think everyone has to find what works for them.

Latest posts