Wow it's hot out!

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
Well, we've sure got a heat wave coming through.. currently 97F (37C) in the shade... spent the last 3 days cutting hay, it's the first time we've had the entire first cut laying at one time.. For us that's about 30 acres leaving some for the cows to graze.. I often don't finish the first cut until july, so I'm ahead of the game there, but we could be in for some water shortages (not quite a drought though) come mid august and I'll have to do some fancy irrigation juggling to keep things growing and green.

Going to be a lot of really late nights together with long days for the next week until the hay is in, and then water like a madman again...

This is too hot, too early. We are supposed to get a gradual cooling here over the next few days. That on shore push of cool air off the ocean will be very welcomed.

Dry spring and early hot weather....... fire season could get real interesting this summer. There is a red flag warning in Kathie's area today so I guess fire season is here.

Yesterday in NW Oregon we hit just above 90 F, today about 87. I have 30 to 40 acres I have set aside to hay for the first time ever for me, good freind is lined up to bale. But a few, too many, guys are haying already. It's too early I think and on this side of the hill (western oregon) very rarely is a second cut of hay good, first cut molds or the second cut doesn't grow, not much for irrigation in my area. The normal time to hay is around the first part of July, I hold out for then.

With that said it sounds like a huge drought year for us, less then 48% of snow pack and creeks and rivers are already low...... We all in the PNW may be praying for rain...... The result of a very mild winter I guess.

Workinonit Farm":3dalb8hq said:
cow pollinater":3dalb8hq said:
108 here today.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

That, pretty much, makes our 90+ degree days (recently) seem not quite as bad. :?
Right there with you CP. We are probably close. 102-105. Not cooling off at night is the hard part. Staying in the high 80s.

Yep, later in the day it got up to 100F even here.. and we're a touch cooler than in town... They say there may be some thunderstorms on friday afternoon.. going to see what I can get baled up by then.. should be able to get it all if I hustle real good and don't have to fight the equipment... going to be a gong show.. I bought lots and lots of BEvERages

Latest posts