woven wire and electric fence

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
Does anyone put up electric fence on the inside of woven wire fence to keep cattle rubbing on the woven wire? IF so how many strands and at what height? Or is it not necessary?

If you build decent braces and use HT woven wire, there is no need. If you use standard soft wire then yes you do if you expect a lot of pressure. If you use 14 ga. wire, you definitely do.

I do but not to keep them from rubbing on it. I do it to have a place to hook a polybraid line to. All you need is one wire about thigh high give or take some. You want them to still be able to graze the fence line so don't go too low.

I do in the weaning/bull lots. One wire 2-3' off the ground, and another on top will keep them from pushing on it.

High tensile fixed knot woven wire is pretty strong, but not indestructible. Goats will put their front feet on the horizontal wires to reach up to eat grass or weeds outside the fence. Over time, the horizontal wire may slide down depending on the weight of the goats, how many goats, quality of wire, etc. Bulls, even weaned to yearling age, tend to put more pressure on fences, especially if there are cows or heifers on the other side. Saw a big bull once destroy a section of new tight fixed knot fence. He just placed his front feet on the strands and walked it down. I guess he was bored. Animals also like to press their sides into it to scratch.
An electric strand will keep animals away from the fence and help protect it from damage.

2 to 3 feet like cfpinz suggested works well. I use it some on a weaning lot and other areas to carry the current where I want it. You could also use a single strand of barbed for a similar purpose if you don't want to maintain the electric wire. I find the electric needs to stay charged or they will rub it loose after a time.
I'd further suggest you use a good quality insulator like a pin lock or ones made for high tensile. Some use an extended insulator on every third or fourth post to save money. That's okay if you keep it hot.

To be fair tho, they could and will sometimes do the same with just about any fence if they really want to or if hormones rage.
Sure. The addition of a hot wire (properly installed and maintained) will help keep them off the fence though. Good fence to hold them in and an electric wire to keep them from working on the fence if needed. If they get a good running start, the value of the electric goes down.

What kind of insulator is recommended along woven wire? I really like the offset wire brackets with pin locks on the end. I don't know if that will install easily for one section of my fence though. It's horse fence so the vertical wires are 2 inches apart. Maybe not an issue for cattle woven wire fence?

I do. I have it even with the top (about four feet). I use the 6 inch plastic insulators to give a amount of space between HT and Woven sheep. Been like that for 20 years, So far so good. Just make sure it doesn't touch the woven or it will make an awesome grounding rod. Full disclosure: I had a portion of the fence that went through the woods and when the saplings started to grow they eventually pushed it against the fence and grounded it out. The woven wire fence makes it a PITA to clip with a brush saw since there is so much wire down low. My point here is I am removing it section by section and adding HT at two feet. Good luck !

I put one strand of electric on top of my woven wire. This is mainly to keep the cattle from trying to eat leaves and honeysuckle by reaching over the fence.

Had a lot of fence destroyed from the reaching over to eat and pushing on it. After putting the hot wire above it they don't wanna bother the fence at all.

Single strand hot in middle, I am not a fence builder , but no one touches the fence not even a goat
Suzanne
30 mile parmack on 2 acres

Bryan M, nothing rejuvenates a worn out fence, nor protects a new fence from the inevitable pressure of livestock like an offset hotwire! The key point is getting the hot wire a sufficient distance from the old, or existing fence, so as not to experience contact and, therefore grounding out the hot wire. Premium Fence sells a very sturdy offset bracket that I have used with absolutely no failure. It is pricey, but remember you only need one about every 50'. American Grazinglands has an offset from Speedrite that I am looking at, at a cheaper price. Put the wire for cattle at 32-34" and you will never regret installing an offset wire. Your grandchildren will thank you!

@kentuckyguy it appears you put TWO hot wires.
I actually started putting the insulators on it for a middle strand. Never ended up running it because the cattle don't bother the fence.

I can promise you I would put it up if necessary. After all the money and work that fence was I don't wanna do it again.

Does anyone put up electric fence on the inside of woven wire fence to keep cattle rubbing on the woven wire? IF so how many strands and at what height? Or is it not necessary?
I like the Stafix 12 inch offsets from Kencove that attach directly to the woven wire. I put one strand of 12 gage wire about waist high spaced about 30 feet apart. This allows cows to graze under the hot wire and you can still mow under it with a 10 foot or wider bush hog without any post in the way.

Latest posts