Wounds on calf

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
We have a calf that is about 2 weeks old. There was two sores show up on the right hip . Time we discovered her the sores were already rotten and with a rotten smell. I suspect with the wet weather and the nasty water we picked up some type bacteria. Been to the vet for antibiotic treatment. The vet kept the cow and calf for three days I brought them home today the calf walks and nurses but the sores are still rotten and smelling like something dead . Vet said we would just have to let it rot until well but I think in the back of his mind he knows that there is not much to do, Looks like another sore may be developing on the left hip. I have read about and heard about people getting infected with a flesh eating bacteria could this be what has happened with this calf .
I hope the vet sent tissue to be examined to see what is going on. Will ask next week.

I've seen a number of young calves with that type of injury due to predation. What are you using for an antibiotic? Can you post a picture? If it was predation, you should see some type of bite scratch wound, but could certainly be a different type of injury or infection. If there is loose rotten skin not attached to the underlying tissue, I try to cut it away and open the wound. Frequent flushing of the wound is also beneficial.