Wound won't heal

Help Support CattleToday:

Good lookin calf!

I invested in a nice headgate for cheap on FB marketplace and I already had a couple alleyways and pens on the place so catching em and working them isn't that bad even by myself. I just had to train them to come to cubes. I only feed them the cubes in the pens and in the chutes so they get more comfortable being in there and being closed in.

Fortunately, I already had a tractor and brush hog, but it might be worth paying someone (or finding a buddy/neighbor with one) to come out and knocking down some of that stuff with a brush hog before it gets too big for a tractor and you've gotta go the chainsaw/mulcher route. I know that's where I was with some of the locust thickets. I had to use a chainsaw on probably 20+ trees, but the rest were barely small enough the brush hog made short work of em. If I had left them another year, I'd of spent way more time running a chainsaw.

I didn't know there was a grass forum. I can post some pictures of the place and the cows if people want to see em.
Why would you hire someone, or ask a neighbor., to do it if you have a tractor and bushhog?

I'm not sure why you have chosen to go with 3 pastures. If you can do 5 as a minimum, that would be preferable. In theory, 4 could possibly work for the bermuda, and I've struggled with the need for 4 pastures instead of 5 for both Bermuda and Bahia. Bermuda grows about 20% faster than CSGs, so in theory you could rest the pastures for a little bless time when growing Bermuda. That will increase the need to be diligent with the other 3 rules. As it grows a bit faster, it can and often does have lower protein content than the CSG counterparts. This potentially means resting the grass for a shorter period before regrazing. A note about these WSG: They grow faster (may have to move BEFORE 7 days as regrowth could be sooner). This means possibly rotating before 7 days (keeps plants from having new growth re-grazed) has expired. The faster growing plants mature sooner, which is why more frequent waterings need to be planned.

Her wound has almost entirely healed up, the swelling around the area is starting to slowly go down, and she's using that leg/hoof more. Still not 100%, and still won't put all her weight on it unless she's running/bucking and playing around. She is making massive improvements though!!! Will be leaving my backyard within the next week to go join the other cows.

Picture is from a few days ago but figured I'd send ya'll a pic of what she looks like not just her nasty leg wound.

Attachments

• 1000005366.jpg
    1000005366.jpg
    576.5 KB · Views: 17
Her wound has almost entirely healed up, the swelling around the area is starting to slowly go down, and she's using that leg/hoof more. Still not 100%, and still won't put all her weight on it unless she's running/bucking and playing around. She is making massive improvements though!!! Will be leaving my backyard within the next week to go join the other cows.

Picture is from a few days ago but figured I'd send ya'll a pic of what she looks like not just her nasty leg wound.
You might want to pay attention to that wound site when the weather gets cold. Sometimes those things have circulation problems.

Latest posts