Would you like some color???

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
I had posted before about using a hereford bull last year to throw some baldies, possibly maybe keeping a couple in the process. I was surprised when they started popping out but weren't black. Here's what the herford bull has thrown so far:

first baldy - tri colored, moma probably has the wild gene
firstbaldy.jpg

second, red baldy from a commercial brangus that obviously is carrying the red gene
redbaldy1-2.jpg

Third, the only true black baldy so far. I left him intact, he'll be a future black hereford sire ;-)
realbbaldy.jpg

If anyone can guess this heifers breeding I'll give her to you. Just kidding, I can't afford to give her away, but her breeding is interesting:
herfs1.jpg

More baldies to follow hopefully!

I don't know what 54 is (other than hereford) but she sure has the cute gene. I love how she's trying to get into the second picture as if to say "don't forget about me"!!

I used an angus bull on two hereford cows I won. The results are the same as in picture #2 and #3, one red, and one black.

I like that first tri-colored calf...pretty unusual coloring..... except for the feet. Mine get those muddy colored feed, when and if it would ever rain around here. :(

I get about 50 a year that are red and white with black around the eyes. I'm keeping all of them this year I think.

you got you 1 heck of a hereford bull thats for sure.a dear friend of mine bred herefods for 70 years or longer.an he tryed to breed herefod bulls that would throw red calves on black cows.

bigbull338":ljrtsaf7 said:
you got you 1 heck of a hereford bull thats for sure.a dear friend of mine bred herefods for 70 years or longer.an he tryed to breed herefod bulls that would throw red calves on black cows.

All of the cows bred to this hereford bull were black. I know the percentages when crossing black to herefords, but out of the 4 calves so far, 2 are red, 1 is black, and 1 is tri-colored. I am glad that I used the hereford; I'll know now which cows have the recessive red gene - which may make future bull decisions go in a certain direction.

bigbull338":1lln6k72 said:

Well, he must have had fun doing that. Cause the only way a hereford bull can throw a red calf out of a black cow is if the COW has the red gene. It sure isn't the bulls 'fault' if the calves come out black, after all, he passes that red gene on to ALL of his calves....

Those are some nice looking calves you have there.....

As for your little hereford heifer, I wouldn't be surprised if the cow (a Simmi you said??) carried the spotting gene. I have noticed that sometimes when you breed a hereford marked animal to an animal that carries the spotting gene, you end up with a hereford marked calf. Even though they say that the spotting gene is recessive to the hereford gene, and you should only get baldy calves.

randiliana":3e0ivkvv said:
As for your little hereford heifer, I wouldn't be surprised if the cow (a Simmi you said??) carried the spotting gene. I have noticed that sometimes when you breed a hereford marked animal to an animal that carries the spotting gene, you end up with a hereford marked calf. Even though they say that the spotting gene is recessive to the hereford gene, and you should only get baldy calves.

The moma to the hereford looking heifer (a simmi with a white blaze that I posted a pic of on the breeds page) has had three previous calves, all sired by my Angus plus. All had very similar markings - white star on the forehead, solid black body, and some white around the udder area. All were fine specimens from a conformation point of view. I'm intrigued by the possibility of this little heifer - as in what she would calve with various bulls...

cypressfarms":2o1t8wz8 said:
bigbull338":2o1t8wz8 said:

All of the cows bred to this hereford bull were black. I know the percentages when crossing black to herefords, but out of the 4 calves so far, 2 are red, 1 is black, and 1 is tri-colored. I am glad that I used the hereford; I'll know now which cows have the recessive red gene - which may make future bull decisions go in a certain direction.

You'll know for sure that the ones that had a red calf carry the red gene, but there could be others. A black cow that carries the red gene can still have a black calf when bred to a red bull. 50/50 chance either way. Nice calves, by the way.