Would you even consider....

Help Support CattleToday:

jdot

Reaction score
Would you even consider keeping a nice heifer calf from a cow that prolapsed this year?
Heres the story I bought a few older bred cows at the sale barn several months back. I know, I probably took home someone elses problem, but everything turned out pretty good except for one cow. She had a full uterine prolapse after giving birth to a heifer. I've got some other heifers that I am planning on keeping and she fits in with the group so I considered it, maybe against my better judgement? I want to keep the good heifers I have so I can quit buying sale barn specials if you know what I mean. Her mama is a good cows as far as being an easy keeper, good disposition, and she is doing a good job raising this calf.
What would you do? :tiphat:

jdot":16i9o9uv said:
Would you even consider keeping a nice heifer calf from a cow that prolapsed this year?
Heres the story I bought a few older bred cows at the sale barn several months back. I know, I probably took home someone elses problem, but everything turned out pretty good except for one cow. She had a full uterine prolapse after giving birth to a heifer. I've got some other heifers that I am planning on keeping and she fits in with the group so I considered it, maybe against my better judgement? I want to keep the good heifers I have so I can quit buying sale barn specials if you know what I mean. Her mama is a good cows as far as being an easy keeper, good disposition, and she is doing a good job raising this calf.
What would you do? :tiphat:

I'm no expert but I do think you need discipline in this business or you will end up with a herd of prolapsing, etc. cows in the not too distant future. Anything that has a problem or preg checks open gets shipped. Period. And now. Don't put another bale of hay in this cow or heifer calf. I'd sell these for hamburger and use the money to buy a heifer private treaty from someone you know or trust and is not selling you a cull. jmho.

Jim

Uterine prolapse is an 'accident' - this cow is no more likely to have a 'repeat performance' than any other cow in your herd - nor are any of her offspring more likely to experience uterine prolapse than any other calf born on your place.

Vaginal prolapses - that's another thing; predisposition to vaginal prolapse is a heritable trait, and I wouldn't want to keep heifers from a cow with vaginal/cervical prolapse. This trait is mainly concentrated in Herefords, Shorthorns, and other breeds sythesized from either of those two - like Beefmasters, St. Gerts, Brafords, etc.
But I have seen an occasional vaginal prolapse in black cows - usually with some Brahman influence(and who knows what else); even saw one in a 3/4 Bison-/1/4 Brahman cow once.

Lucky_P":1mejeq4r said:
Uterine prolapse is an 'accident' - this cow is no more likely to have a 'repeat performance' than any other cow in your herd - nor are any of her offspring more likely to experience uterine prolapse than any other calf born on your place.

Vaginal prolapses - that's another thing; predisposition to vaginal prolapse is a heritable trait, and I wouldn't want to keep heifers from a cow with vaginal/cervical prolapse. This trait is mainly concentrated in Herefords, Shorthorns, and other breeds sythesized from either of those two - like Beefmasters, St. Gerts, Brafords, etc.
But I have seen an occasional vaginal prolapse in black cows - usually with some Brahman influence(and who knows what else); even saw one in a 3/4 Bison-/1/4 Brahman cow once.

That is interesting, I didn't realize the difference between the two. How do they look in comparison?

Knowing that VP is a somewhat heritable trait, we've kept heifers from cows that have prolapsed and never had one of them do it. The last cow we ahd that prolapsed is out of our old (21 year old) Granny cow. Half sisters by the same bull haven't prolapsed and neither have her daughters.

I agree with Lucky. So far I haven't had any luck with re-breeding the cow herself after uterine prolapse but I've no problem with keeping the offspring. Full uterine prolapse is usually a side effect of milk fever, could happen to anyone.

When I've seen vaginal prolapse it's a protrusion like a pink tennis ball, goes back in when the cow stands up and she appears healthy. Uterine prolapse is a large red mass with visible cotyledons.
103_prolapse.JPG
103_uterine_prolapse.JPG

Can just see the uterus behind her, in the second image I've covered it with towels for protection.

Thanks everybody, when I first looked at this heifer and it came into my mind to hold her back, I had the knee jerk reaction that I think SRBeef had, SHIP HER. I try to be maticulous in selecting any heifers I keep, and she really fits in with this group; age, size, color, disposition and all theirs mothers are good ones, so she may just stay here a while. We'll see, as far as the cow any thoughts there?
:tiphat:

jdot":2y8sl4tw said:
Thanks everybody, when I first looked at this heifer and it came into my mind to hold her back, I had the knee jerk reaction that I think SRBeef had, SHIP HER. I try to be maticulous in selecting any heifers I keep, and she really fits in with this group; age, size, color, disposition and all theirs mothers are good ones, so she may just stay here a while. We'll see, as far as the cow any thoughts there?
:tiphat:
If it's a full vaginal prolapse in a cow they need to hit the bricks. If it's just a bubble that comes and goes when she lays down and stands up she may never get to the full prolpase stage.

Now speaking from personal experience, twice, ship both her and her offspring.
Every and I mean EVERY cow or heifer that shows either a vaginal or does a uterine prolapse gets a one way ticket to the sale barn.

Now we had a first year heifer do a full uterine prolapse. Shipped her and kept the calf. Calf just followed in her dam's hoof prints, full uterine prolapse.
Had another one do the same thing 3 days after calving. Thought it was a fluke, NOPE! Her calf did the same thing.
We don't mess with them any more, they go.

Sorry Dun. Had an older cow that started the vaginal prolapsing and it just got worse over the next couple of years and she did do a uterine prolapse. We don't mess with them either.

Have kept them after a uterine and NEVER had a repeat have also kept the prolapser and bred them back and never had a repeat.

Like what was said uterine is a fluke usually do to a difficult birth and stress. Milk fever has been linked to it as well like regolith stated.

There are many exceptions to the rules when you have prolapses you need to get all the facts before you cull everything.. ;-)

Talk to your vet.

I luv herfrds":1ea1a8ga said:
Sorry Dun. Had an older cow that started the vaginal prolapsing and it just got worse over the next couple of years and she did do a uterine prolapse. We don't mess with them either.
Had a cow that carrying her second calf started the bubble deal, kept expecting her to prolapse or at least get worse. She had her 7th calf this year. She hasn;t done the bubble deal except that one year.

dun":21b0wn7p said:
Had a cow that carrying her second calf started the bubble deal, kept expecting her to prolapse or at least get worse. She had her 7th calf this year. She hasn;t done the bubble deal except that one year.

The bubble deal (slight VP) can also be a result of "too much condition" combined with "heavy in calf" and should not be confused with an animal that has a heritable trait for lack of muscle strength in the area that allows full on vaginal prolapse...

...full on VP's get a full strike, the bubble deal (if due to a heavy calf or body condition) is usually a 1/2 of a strike

...it's a one strike and you're OUT game around here.

2/B or not 2/B":2fovo9k7 said:
That is interesting, I didn't realize the difference between the two. How do they look in comparison?

Vaginal prolapse (we shipped her)

I don't have a uterine prolapse picture... knock on wood

Latest posts