Would you consider vegetable oil flammable?

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Now the deal is I know vegetable oil is flammable but it's got to be pretty darn hot. I bought a 50 gallon sprayer that has an electric motor that hooks up to a battery for the back of my four wheeler. The whole reason to buy in this $300 pump was to spray Mesquite out in the pasture. I've had this sucker in the garage because for a year after reading the directions that says do not use flammable liquid. So of course diesel is out of the question but vegetable oil is an option to mix with remedy. Any advice? Working in the restaurants we heat our oil up to 350 degrees with no problem.

Put diesel in it a go spray. The motor isn't ignition protected and could possibly set gas fumes off. The manufacturer is covering all the bases jus t in case.

callmefence":2rxq1v1p said:
I've sprayed diesel in many electric sprayers.
I guess your work allows vegetable oil to be the cheapest option,????
No I can not get vegetable oil any cheaper I just used it in the past because it did not corrode my pumps. It was either brush Busters or a study by Texas A&M that said vegetable oil was an option instead of diesel fuel. Works pretty darn good.

I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like a lawyer helped write the instructions. There is a world of difference between possible and probable.

I think the "meaning" of it is to not use it in areas where it's a flammable atmosphere.. gasoline fumes, propane, and all such things.. diesel will hardly light with a match to it.. veggie oil even less so.. I wouldn't worry about it!

Great that's what I need to do hear. Heck it's hard enough to get diesel lit on a brush pile. Diesel it is.

M-5":ogl9egz5 said:
BK9954":ogl9egz5 said:
Great that's what I need to do hear. Heck it's hard enough to get diesel lit on a brush pile. Diesel it is.

ive never had that problem but it could be the tires that I use to start it .
I just throw matches on it after soaking with diesel. I will make a little "fuse" with regular gasoline to lead to it and start the diesel. I save all my used tires for projects around the property.

BK9954":1pqzzfp0 said:
M-5":1pqzzfp0 said:
BK9954":1pqzzfp0 said:

I just throw matches on it after soaking with diesel. I will make a little "fuse" with regular gasoline to lead to it and start the diesel. I save all my used tires for projects around the property.

I actually cut my fire diesel with about 25% gas and it solves that problem

BK9954":pkzwzoyv said:
M-5":pkzwzoyv said:
BK9954":pkzwzoyv said:

I spray a little diesel on some leaves and light. Once you have a flame, that sprayer becomes a blow torch. Just walk around the pile pushing the flame.

BK9954":34nxtu9d said:
callmefence":34nxtu9d said:
No I can not get vegetable oil any cheaper I just used it in the past because it did not corrode my pumps. It was either brush Busters or a study by Texas A&M that said vegetable oil was an option instead of diesel fuel. Works pretty darn good.
A couple of the little 12V flowjet pumps I looked at said not to use 'volatile' liquids and one even emphasized diesel. The fine print explained it was because of possible damage to the 'rubber' /plastic parts & seals inside the housing and it would void the warranty. I sprayed diesel with mine anyway and never had any problem.
YRMV.

greybeard":1bw8g9ho said:
BK9954":1bw8g9ho said:
callmefence":1bw8g9ho said:
A couple of the little 12V flowjet pumps I looked at said not to use 'volatile' liquids and one even emphasized diesel. The fine print explained it was because of possible damage to the 'rubber' /plastic parts & seals inside the housing and it would void the warranty. I sprayed diesel with mine anyway and never had any problem.
YRMV.
My hand pump sprayers gaskets have messed up with deisel. Thats usually because I keep going until the point of heat stroke and leave them sitting for a while. Thats why I used vegetable oil, just the way I am made, dont like to leave any job unfinished, its like an itch you cant scratch, 100 degree heat or not.

I have used diesel in sprayers for years aand not had any problems with parts giving way except in one small hand pump. I just wash everything thoroughly with dawn dish soap when I'm done. The had pump that crapped out from diesel did the same thing when I left roundup mixed with in it over night.

Yes, I've had trouble with the hand pump-garden sprayers developing a curve in the big cylinder that goes down in the tank--the part that you actually pump up. but no problems with the electric or PTO driven pumps. I think just about any less-then-professional grade garden sprayer will have problems if solution is left in them long term.

greybeard":19eyruf1 said:
Yes, I've had trouble with the hand pump-garden sprayers developing a curve in the big cylinder that goes down in the tank--the part that you actually pump up. but no problems with the electric or PTO driven pumps. I think just about any less-then-professional grade garden sprayer will have problems if solution is left in them long term.
Operative term being "long term"

Latest posts