Would you buy Cloned embryos?

Help Support CattleToday:

gaurus

Reaction score
As embryonic transfer in cattle becomes widely adopted throughout the industry, would you consider purchasing embryos that are clones of the top 5 Sire bulls of your preferred beef? :cboy:

No. I would pass. There will always be an asterisk next to a clone. I would be reluctant to use "Final Answer II"
I guess it doesn't matter if you are using it for commercial cattle. I have given a lot of thought to using old bulls like EXT, for example, but I have come to the conclusion that I would rather go with younger genetics. I don't see an advantage to going back a generation or two in a pedigree. I heard that through the use of A.I. the industry was able to increase the average milk production by 50 percent in 10 years, but I think that was using the younger genetics.

If it meant I could have this guy's service sire standing in my pasture, you betcha! Even if I couldn't register him or offspring, I would build quite a herd of commercial money makers.

Air gator":swlbp9dy said:
I heard that through the use of A.I. the industry was able to increase the average milk production by 50 percent in 10 years, but I think that was using the younger genetics.
Mostly in theory although accomplished in a few individual herds along with improved nutrition.
Other than that no breed genetic average has ever come close to that rapid of genetic advancement.

Boot Jack Bulls":3obt06vr said:
If it meant I could have this guy's service sire standing in my pasture, you betcha! Even if I couldn't register him or offspring, I would build quite a herd of commercial money makers.

I agree, but I believe that Final Answer II is a clone and has been registered successfully? Why would there be a problem registering them? :cboy:

gaurus":29esawr0 said:
Boot Jack Bulls":29esawr0 said:

I agree, but I believe that Final Answer II is a clone and has been registered successfully? Why would there be a problem registering them? :cboy:

Some association will not register cloned animals and that is part of their bylaws. There was a couple of guys that had cloned some quarter horses and after a big lawsuit with the AQHA, the AQHA won and those horses are ineligible to be registered with them. I think that the bucking bull association has the same policy and also refuses to register clones.

Just need to check the rules and bylaws of the association as to if they allow the registration of clones or not.

Latest posts